Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

Milky oil cap

Hi guys

I've tried searching a few threads and most of them suggest head or head gasket, which was my first thought.

I'm not convinced it is yet, but hoping someone on here can suggest. It is a 97 E36 320I Auto sedan. I've had the car about a year and a half now, and this morning when I pulled the oil cap off, it had a very milky greeny oil all over, aswell as inside just around the oil filler. I pulled the dipstick out and oil is good, no milky residue or anything (just waiting for her to cool down before I check the coolant for oil). I've taken the cap off a few times since I've had the car and its never had this before. I've topped up the coolant maybe a max of 1 litre over the last year and half. The thermostat is stuck open, and has been since I've had it, but I always warm up before using and 99% of the time she gets a minimum run of atleast 100km distance (highway) when taken out, not too sure whether that makes any difference. I have had no issues with overheating (just never reaches full temp when on highway), nor have I noticed any missing or anything in the enigne. Is a little bit sluggish under 3000RPM but I assume because its a 320i :P

Has anyone got any suggestions (if not head gasket) what may cause this?

Cheers guys

Russ

Just from experience oil in water or vice versa is usually sign of gasket.

Oil caps not damaged or you havn't been hosing engine bay?

I guess once you check the coolant it will give you more of an idea.

Just checked the coolant, and from what I can see theres no apparent sign of oil in there. The oil cap seems to be all good, and have never hosed the engine bay. Do you think it could just be moisture getting in around the cap seal? Although it does seem to seal pretty tight.

Condensation?

Happens when engines are used for short journeys a lot and not allowed to heat up fully.

Could it be something like a leaky rocker cover gasket? Mine is doing similar at the moment, haven't done any decent trips though

Yea I'm hoping its just condensation or something. I just had my doubts about that because I never take the car on a short trip, if I'm going anywhere in it its at least 100km distance and 110ish kms/h, highway all the way so the car has plenty of time to warm up etc etc as well as me leaving it sit idle for 5 or 10 minutes before i take off. It never sees town driving except straight after a long trip, as I have a work vehicle during the week.

Maybe a drain and a flush then chucking one of those seal treatments in with fresh oil might do the trick, that's probably what i would do before exploring other options.