Sign in to follow this  
jimmy01

E46 steptronic shifter

Hey guys, I'm new here but I hope we can help each other out. My car is a 2001 325i m sport wagon and is a jap import.

My 'manual mode' shifter works the wrong way (in my opinion) e.g. Push forward = change up gear and pull back is downshift. I know a lot of the newer e46's do it the 'right' way. I have however fixed it so it now works how I prefer it- it's really easy to do and if anyone would like instructions/pictures of how to do it, let me know and I will post them here.

Here's where you guys may be able to help me: I'm after the selector panel (P, R, N etc lights) to match as the +/- symbols no longer match what the lever does. Although this does not affect the components/functionality in any way, it would still be nice to get it sorted!

Is anyone willing to swap their panel with me? Obviously you would need to prefer that forward = shift up and currently have the opposite.

If someone is keen, I'm more than happy to help you change it over or do the mod for you ( should only take 10 minutes)

Cheers

I remember seeing a how to on the web somewhere but cant remember where.

Mr google may help you.

My 'manual mode' shifter works the wrong way (in my opinion) e.g. Push forward = change up gear and pull back is downshift. I know a lot of the newer e46's do it the 'right' way. I have however fixed it so it now works how I prefer it- it's really easy to do and if anyone would like instructions/pictures of how to do it, let me know and I will post them here.

Swap 2 pins over on the connector?

Yep, easy.

Here's where you guys may be able to help me: I'm after the selector panel (P, R, N etc lights) to match as the +/- symbols no longer match what the lever does. Although this does not affect the components/functionality in any way, it would still be nice to get it sorted!

Is anyone willing to swap their panel with me? Obviously you would need to prefer that forward = shift up and currently have the opposite.

get a new panel from bmw

www.realoem.com

you're right, I could buy one from Real OEM or any number of places but that would cost me significantly more than the $0 I was hoping to pay with a swap! e.g. US$112 from realOEM. I imagine an NZ wrecker could get me a used one cheaper but I thought it best to just try here first.