Sign in to follow this  
exmortem

Pre purchase inspections

Gidday,

Apologise in advance if some of my qs have been answered in other threads, have searched and had a few really good reads.

Links to previous posts / threads more the welcome!

With any sort of luck will be purchasing my first bimmer and euro car for that matter, currentlu looking at a couple E36's 96ish 318i and 325i this weekend.

Advertisements for both of these vehicles claim 'full service history available' and 'regularly serviced'

From other members experiences, what kind of maintainance / replacements would I expect to see in their 'full service histories' aside from fluid changes, filters etc eg belts / pulleys, gaskets / seals, suspension etc?

This q then leads what could I expect to be replacing in the near future..

Both vehicles have around 120,000-140,000km on the clock

Also, would anyone be able to suggest (even if hellishly rough) per year maintainance cost, vehicle will be a daily driver, also factoring in I will be purchasing a service manual and expect to be doing some basics myself, fluid changes, filters, brake pads / discs.

Any replies appreciated :D

Edited by Exmortem

i wouldnt expect to see any thing other than routine serviceing up till that mileage,but the whole point is to see that it has been serviced regularly

At 160k you might be looking at cooling system parts.The others might know about cambelts etc.

Hi there, where are you from? You looking at a manual or auto?

There is a very good manual 328 in CHC with full history etc.

I have a 328 manual and finding it just as economical as the 325 I used to own.

The cooling system is the area to look most closely at, when I got the 326 the first thing i did was replace the radiator, water pump,thermostat and housing, tensioners and all belts, the total cost for the parts came to around $550 to $600. Did all this as it is a daily driver and doing just over 20,000kms per year. I didn't want any problems that could occur suddenly and cause further damage eg waterpump disintergrating and cooking the engine.

Take your time buying and good luck.

As has been said the cooling system is a big point of failure (on most bmw's) because the plastic used in the radiator tanks, water pump impeller etc is all recycled plastic (in accordance with European law) which means it deteriorates quicker than other plastics. Arguably you will see this more in imports that NZ new due to climate but it does effect both.

Chain Driven so all good there. if your doing waterpump/thermostat you may as well change belt at the same time.

Don't cheap out on things like break pads/rotors and oil filters, cheap filters can fall to bits and scatter throughout engine and cheap pads will likely squeal and/or rattle. the genuine consumables are not actually that much more expensive than 3rd party (i think a oil filter is like $10 more?) so there is no reason to use crappy repco bits.

also a 318 is probably going to suck gas coz you have to plant it to move anywhere, i would go 320 or higher.

watch out for jap imports with AUTO gearboxs' they use a different box (JATCO) to the NZ New ones and they often give problems ... google for E36 Jatco Jerk