Sign in to follow this  
BlowMyWhistle

e30 rear wheel bearings

Hi Y'all. Is it easy to change the rear wheel bearings? I've seen the diagram on real oem.

Can I do it in my driveway? Do I need to press the bearings out or anything?

It's got a leaking rear seal on the motor, do I need to drop the crank out to fix that? If so, someone else can do it!

I've got to change the steering rack, so If I have to drop the front end to get at the sump I may as well do it al at the same time... Or take it to my mate Andy at Beemer Motor World.

Every time She takes it to 'the garage across the road' or something, they come back with ridiculous quotes.

Time and again, take it to someone that knows what they're doing. Get it done properly in half the time.

Even if I do end up having to pay for it myself....

But, yeah, wheel bearings please?

Wheel bearings - not really a driveway job. They will require pressing off/on

Rear main - either engine or gearbox out to access. No you don't need to drop the crank.

Wheel bearings - not really a driveway job. They will require pressing off/on

Rear main - either engine or gearbox out to access. No you don't need to drop the crank.

But Shirley I can take that drive plate off and take it to a shop with a press? Or strip it in my drive and get the mobile mechanic out just to press them in and out.

It's my daughters car, so it's not like I'm gunner be stuck there with no wheels!

Or does it need to go into the shop? I gotta take it there anyway, get another rack for it, Has to see the car to know which type it is.

I've been to T/A too! nearly got killed, only whitey in a garage full of bro's! Lived to tell the tale...

Andy at Beemer Motor Workshop Maddington, Perth that is. Looks after me, lot's of spare parts, nose what he's doing and doesn't charge the earth!