Sign in to follow this  
mossline

E39 small monitor to widescreen monitor

Im looking at updating my interior and wondered how easy it would be to swap my older style small screen radio unit to the later widescreen model? Mine has TV but no satnav.

is it a straight swap or is it a lot of messing around?

Also if someone has one for sale let me know....

post-9112-1306193556.jpg

post-9112-1306193562.jpg

Whats the year of the car, it is possible/probable that the Video module will not support 16:9 only 4:3, in which case you will need to swap out both the monitor and the Video module, it should just be a matter of plugging the new ones in, nothing else to change.

Hi,

I do not know 100%, but I am fairly sure I read somewere that you can swap as long as you have the 'correct' video module.

That WILL NOT give you NZ Sat Nav, it is a separate computer.

I have done mine, with a MKIV nav unit ex USA and some modification to the Jap wiring - Grant ( Hotwire ) on here is your man for this.

Currently I have the ULF Bluetooth unit in transit to me, which will give me Voice control of the SatNav and Bluetooth handsfree - something for you to consider in the future.

Also you can hook up a reverse camera to the Video Module, and it comes on automatically when you go into reverse, works great n the larger screen.

Lots of fun upgrading these 10 year old cars, and you end up with all the features that a lot of brand new cars are only just getting now :)

^^^^^ Yep is great how these cars can be bought up to modern spec.

Regards monitor upgrade: 16:9 Monitor is plug/play for 4:3

You WILL need to also replace the video module to a 16:9 version - this is plug play too

I did this in my 99 car a few years ago - a great upgrade. Can thoroughly recommend. Tis a cost involved though.

I can help you out if you wish Chris.

I have previously supply a person who has a Jap 1996 E38 750i with widescreen/video module update, nav conversion & reverse camera. Bringing the car right up to modern spec.

Excellent! This is great guys, cheers for your help.

So monitor and tv module replacement, plug and play should do the trick.

Grant, i'll PM you!

Just need the aluminium/ metalic trim and the Interior will be sorted!

Cheers all!