Sign in to follow this  
philwalter

215/40/17 and 235/40/17

I need these sizes for an upcoming staggered setup 7.5" and 8.5". Could probably do a 225/40/17 on the back but I don't think you can get that size in decent tires anymore.

What my options allowing the same brand of tire all round ?

Thks.

Assume its for these wheels on an e30 M3

http

://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....howtopic=35909

yes it is for his M3. Sorry Phil, I didn't actually see this thread. I will pm you through some options rather than post up here as we all know the sh*t storm that follows

edit: it is quite hard finding those sizes in the same tread pattern. Have you considered a 245/35R17 for the rear? The 245 is a lot closer than the 235 in OD to the 215.

Edited by zenetti

[/url]

yes it is for his M3. Sorry Phil, I didn't actually see this thread. I will pm you through some options rather than post up here as we all know the sh*t storm that follows

edit: it is quite hard finding those sizes in the same tread pattern. Have you considered a 245/35R17 for the rear? The 245 is a lot closer than the 235 in OD to the 215.

Hey,

Yeah, I see what your saying re the 245 so happy to look into that as well as an option if it is going to give me more choice in tire. As long as I don't get a balloon effect on rear with a 245 on an 8.5 rim. Was also hoping to keep staggered understeer to a minimum by going the 215/235 as opposed to the 245.

Thanks

Toyo NZ list both sizes for CT101 which should be a good tyre on a light car like the E30

out of stock of the 235/40/17 in the CT01 :(

The earthquake in Sendai has meant that there are a lot of shortfalls in stock. I would say the T1Sport is a better tyre but again no stock. All that is currently available in both sizes is the T1R. I am just trying to track down some Falken FK-452's :)

If we ignore everything else and with a 215/40/17 on the front, look at 235/40 vs 245/35 in terms of handling and stance ? On paper it would seem the 245 is the correct match for the front, whereas the 235 is actually too fat and will jack the rear of the car up slightly ?

If we ignore everything else and with a 215/40/17 on the front, look at 235/40 vs 245/35 in terms of handling and stance ? On paper it would seem the 245 is the correct match for the front, whereas the 235 is actually too fat and will jack the rear of the car up slightly ?

Correct, the 245 is only 1mm smaller in OD than the 215/40 whereas the 235/40 is actually 16mm taller.

All very interesting.

The rake may not be a bad thing. After putting the Bilstein's and H&R Sport springs in the car recently, the front is sitting 2cm higher than the rear anyway so it may even it out a little. There are many opinions but most will say the E30 M3 handles better with the front slightly higher anyway and H&R took this into account when designing their sport springs.

215/40 and 245/35 was the original spec on the S3 Schnitzer cars with these wheels back in the day.

215/45 and 245/40 would allow more options but might be a bit chubby :-)

Generally try and take it out every few weeks and sling it around some good open driving roads on a sunny day. Try to avoid the wet, and try to avoid traffic