Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

E39 PDC Retrofit ?

Has anybody had any experience in retrofitting PDC to a facelift ( 2002 ) E39 ?

I have the reverse camera fitted, so I really only want to do the front of the car, and wondered would I be better off buying an aftermarket kit - although I prefer to stay genuine where possible / economic.

The car came from Japan with one of those tacky posts that stick up from the front of the car, and after ripping the numberplate holder off a couple of times, I can now see why !

I guess some may say I need to drive / park better, but as my car is a touring, it is important to get as close into parks as possible so it's butt does not stick out, and the shape of the nose makes it hard !!

I have serached forums / internet, but not much info around on retrofit - the module seems to be cheap as a used part, the sensors themselves not so much .... and would my car be 'pre-wired' for the module anyway ?

Any experience out there in Bimmersport land ??

Thanks

You will have no prewiring, so a loom is needed

The bumper cutouts will exist, you just need to replace the bumper buffer strip

If going original, the OEM options were always rear-only, or front+rear. Ideally, fit front+rear and have the whole PDC system fitted.

There are OEM retrofit instructions around