Sign in to follow this  
gunter

Loss of clutch travel

Hi Guys,

I went to drive the 325 on Tuesday after it had been sitting since Saturday and the clutch seems to have mysteriously lost 80% of its travel. Originally it started to engage near the top and had quite a long stroke but now I've only got about 2cm of travel right at the bottom.

I say it doesn't feel like a fluid leak because the travel it does have is real solid. Could something have seized to cause this. Its been pretty cold and wet lately

Cheers

Tim

It must surely be a hydralic problem - low fluid, air in system, faulty master or slave cylinder

- Have you checked the fluid level

- Have you checked for leaks?

- Have you checked the travel of the slave cylinder while pedal is being depressed?

- Possible faulty hose - soft & expanding under pressure:-

If slave travel is ok - will be a mechanical fault - shift lever, pressure plate etc (I would say this scenario unlikely though)

If travel is not ok, make sure system is properly bled

If it is properly bled then clamp the hose off at top end & check pedal travel - you should have none, if you have - master cylinder is faulty. Eliminate the hose by clamping at the lower end & rechecking travel. The hose is another unlikely scenario but possible.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the help I'll get on to it as soon as possible. Unfortunately I tore the muscles in my lower back last night so the Beamer might be chillin for a while

Had a similar issue on my Subaru, replaced the clutch and pressure plate and all was happy again...being a Bmw might be a little different but that's my guess.