Sign in to follow this  
sdevil

Just installed reverse camera this afternoon, got some issue -- **Upda

Hi Guys,

I have just installed reverse camera on my 2002 E46 318i with TV function this afternoon.

There are some issues, can someone help?

Issue #1: I have connected PIN 17 from TV turner blue plug to reverse light power, I expect this plug can switch to AV in TV when I put on reverse gear. But it's not working, when I connect PIN 17 to reverse light power, my TV screen not showing anymore only if I put on reverse gear, and it not switch to AV, that's not what I want. which PIN should I connect to make TV switch to AV automatically when I put on reverse gear?

Issue #2: my camera it's showing good if I am not switch on my head light, but every time I switch on my head light, my TV screen start flashing, if I switch off head light, camera come back to normal. What is this?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you guys.

Edited by sdevil

Thank you Rabbit, I have ready post from you link, still no idea, I just noticed two things:

1. do i need to connect PIN 17 to ground instead of power of reverse light?

2. what's relay? Do I really need of this?

I have purchased AV In adapter from ebay, see link below, But I cannot connect my camera to Camera IN plug, camera not showing, the camera only working when I plug into Video In(RCA Yellow), is that correct?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...#ht_3336wt_1141

Thank you for helps.

Hi Guys,

I have just installed reverse camera on my 2002 E46 318i with TV function this afternoon.

There are some issues, can someone help?

Issue #1: I have connected PIN 17 from TV turner blue plug to reverse light power, I expect this plug can switch to AV in TV when I put on reverse gear. But it's not working, when I connect PIN 17 to reverse light power, my TV screen not showing anymore only if I put on reverse gear, and it not switch to AV, that's not what I want. which PIN should I connect to make TV switch to AV automatically when I put on reverse gear?

Issue #2: my camera it's showing good if I am not switch on my head light, but every time I switch on my head light, my TV screen start flashing, if I switch off head light, camera come back to normal. What is this?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you guys.

Wired completely wrong!

Haven't fully read that link but:

13 white plug video +

14 '' '' " braid

17 blue plug switched to earth when in reverse - via relay

Wired completely wrong!

Haven't fully read that link but:

13 white plug video +

14 '' '' " braid

17 blue plug switched to earth when in reverse - via relay

I have connected PIN 17 to reverse light power, NOT Ground! I think I have done this wrong.

13 and 14 I think I don't need to worry about, because I have got AV In adapter will handle this.

Where can I buy a relay? Do i have to have this?

Thank you.

Edited by sdevil

Again - you are wiring it incorrectly:-

My above description is the correct method - i have done/seen through well over 40 installs of reverse cameras in BMW/Rover.

The VM is, along with AV input, also equipped for reverse camera input - as per description.

Connecting via AV is a waste of time as it is a completely manual selection - defeats the purpose

YES you do require a relay. Can be got from the Repco's / Super Cheaps or any Auto Sparky

Again - you are wiring it incorrectly:-

My above description is the correct method - i have done/seen through well over 40 installs of reverse cameras in BMW/Rover.

The VM is, along with AV input, also equipped for reverse camera input - as per description.

Connecting via AV is a waste of time as it is a completely manual selection - defeats the purpose

YES you do require a relay. Can be got from the Repco's / Super Cheaps or any Auto Sparky

Thank you hotwire, I will try your way on tomorrow. hope it will fix. :P

I have followed hotwire's instruction to re-wired my camera today, connect PIN 17 to ground via Relay. connection as attached picture.

now camera can switch to AV automatically when I put on reverse gear no problem.

But if I switched on headlight, the screen keep blinking, switch off headlight then go back to normal.

What caused of this? How can I fix this?

I am using 12V 30A Normal Open Relay with 5 Pins, is that correct?

Thank you

post-6272-1312680235.jpg

Thanks Grant for the first class installation of the reverse camera on my 530I yesterday. The unit works perfectly and friends are impressed with the quality of the picture.

The ground you are using is the headlight wire. Ground when they are off, turn lights on and it goes 12v. That makes the the head unit reverse input floating and it can not tell if it's connected or not.

Better than my day. Camera all installed and wired. Camera is dead. Camera wiring is whole length of car and needs to all come out again. Can't replace it as it's speacial to the camera.

Edited by Rabbit

The ground you are using is the headlight wire. Ground when they are off, turn lights on and it goes 12v. That makes the the head unit reverse input floating and it can not tell if it's connected or not.

Better than my day. Camera all installed and wired. Camera is dead. Camera wiring is whole length of car and needs to all come out again. Can't replace it as it's speacial to the camera.

Hi Rabbit,

Thank you for your reply, I have grounded camera on brown and pink wire, is this headlight ground?

there are another one with plain brown colour, should I connect on this one?

too bad on your camera, i know there are wireless transmitter you can use instead of putting wires over your car.

see here:

http://www.smartauto24.com/rearview-camera...iew-camera.html

thank you.

Edited by sdevil

Ground is any metal surface that is connected to the body. Look for bunches of black wires going to one point.

Hi Rabbit,

Sorry I am confused, on my camera, there are two wires, one red colour, another one is black colour.

on my parking light(reverse light), there are three cables, they are blue/brown, pink/brown, plain brown.

currently i have connect camera black cable to pink/brown via relay, I think i should connect to plain brown cable instead of pink/brown one?

the red cable from camera I have connected to blue/brown, this should be correct?

You still do not have it wired correctly.

Earth is a straight brown (no trace & NOT black) or connect straight to earth. Relay pins 85 & 87 + camera earth.

Reverse is none of the wires you have mentioned - hense switching off with lights

Reverse is white/yellow or blue/yellow. (from memory E46 is the same as E39)

Camera supply better wired to acc supply rather than reverse so as to avoid any delay on power up with reverse selection.

Have you connected video to pins 13 & 14 as I described?

Edit: wireless cameras are a complete waste of time - very suceptable to interference.

Edited by hotwire

Thanks Grant for the first class installation of the reverse camera on my 530I yesterday. The unit works perfectly and friends are impressed with the quality of the picture.

Thanks John for the vote of confidence - Glad you are happy with it :) A pleasure to meet you yesterday.

You still do not have it wired correctly.

Earth is a straight brown (no trace & NOT black) or connect straight to earth. Relay pins 85 & 87 + camera earth.

Reverse is none of the wires you have mentioned - hense switching off with lights

Reverse is white/yellow or blue/yellow. (from memory E46 is the same as E39)

Camera supply better wired to acc supply rather than reverse so as to avoid any delay on power up with reverse selection.

Have you connected video to pins 13 & 14 as I described?

Edit: wireless cameras are a complete waste of time - very suceptable to interference.

Thanks hotwire, I think I am getting there.

by checking your instruction, I connected camera earth to another wire instead of brown cable.

I think that is the problem is.

other stuff I have connected seems no problem. tv can switch to AV when I put on reverse gear. and the camera showing.

I have connected camera positive to reverse light, the delay seems acceptable. I may just leave it.

Will make change on earth wire tomorrow, it should fix the problem, I hope.

Thank you so much for all your help, thumbup!

Dont know why you don't connect camera video as I described - the proper way!

AV can then be used for exactly that - an external AV input

Dont know why you don't connect camera video as I described - the proper way!

AV can then be used for exactly that - an external AV input

Hi Hotwire,

I just noticed that my AV In plug bought from ebay already including Camera-In plug which connect to Pin 13, 14 as your described, and another plug is Video-In.

I have connected to Camera-In plug, and ground camera to reverse light brown cable. all working perfect now!

Thank you so much and all other helps! :lol::lol: