Sign in to follow this  
moktar

WTB: 4X4 Tow wagon

Hey Looking at buying a 4x4 truck for going camping, towing the boat and race car around this summer.

looking for a bit of advice as to what models to watch out for and what are reliable wagons to go with.

will be used off road on beaches ect..

I owned a 1994 jeep cherokee 4.0l before i brought the bmw but am looking for something i dont have to worry about as much and something not as thirsty.

Have heard that the Toyota surf diesels are a good option but what model to go with?

Also will be looking at either selling or swapping my E36 as well. so if anyone could be interested in a trade or buying the car let me know.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=30657&hl=

thanks

I use a 2.8 diesel surf to tow my car around and do everything you have said.

It is cheap as on fuel and seems to tow nice and straight, although it isn't a very quick tow... imagine second gear up the bombays with a trailer+car. Admitidley, it would happily do that all day and not miss a beat. Handles a whole lot better now with the lift and gruntier shocks.

Would recommend if you are after reliability over speed.

Yeah i have heard you cant really go wrong with the Toyota and people seem to think the 3.0 diesel turbo are a great motor with heaps of pull and reliability.

could be keen on Nissan options as well.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-397734204.htm

don't know too much about the above model, if anyone has any info on these it would be appreciated.

Mate had a Surf I had a Terrano. Had to tow him out of trouble so many times.

If I had the cash it would be an X3 for me

Thanks for the info regarding the surf's.

Kinda been heading towards the terrano range as they seem like a nicer looking more modern truck with all the capability or more than the surf.

sorry mate but a bit out of my way.

Thanks

On the topic how are the ISUZU rated? good bad, ugly? there seem to be heaps of bighorns available.

I've got a 97 Nissan Regulus (3.2L), which is just a Terrano with some fancy bits on it.

I use it to tow the race car and it does a pretty damn good job, But it didn't when I first got it..

If your looking at one, throughly Check the Rear suspension and bushes. I have had to replace both shortly after buying it. It would drive fine when empty but when it was loaded up the back end would sway all over the damn place..

There are a few other small issues with it, but nothing that any other vehicle wouldn't have..

Appart from that it does the job.

Phil.

Thanks for the info regarding the surf's.

Kinda been heading towards the terrano range as they seem like a nicer looking more modern truck with all the capability or more than the surf.

As stated already - I agree the Terrano/Pathfinder a better vehicle than the Toyota. Virtually bullet proof TD series engines.

A couple of common issues in the R50 series that you link to - as mentioned - rear suspension bushes but also they have issues with the electronic injector pump failing & costing 2 -3k to fix. As opposed to the earlier D21 version that has a fully mechanical pump & lasts forever.

Another point with the R50 - some can have noisy diffs. I understand there are a couple of diffs used in this model - a fine gear version & a course one. As I understand, one version is suceptable to whining. Not sure which.