Sign in to follow this  
Beeker2

E46 M3, whats to look out for ?

If seriously fishing with the idea of bringing an E46 M3 in from the UK.

It would be an 2001, Manual, done 80k miles.

I'm not up to speed with M3's, but know there was the engine recall on E46 bearings or something?

What questions are needed about this, and what else do i need to ask???

thanks in advance

Edited by Beeker2

Apart from the info in kinetiks link, the e46 m3 sufferered from power steering leaks on both the pressure and return line. If my memory serves me correctly BMW modified the hose routing so early ones were more prone to leaks. Although not a major issue i would hate to think how much a pair of pas hoses cost!

Most of the E46 M3 owners were informed that the engine needed the big end bearings replaced but some may have slipped through the net. If you contacted a bmw dealer with the chassis code they could tell you through the ISIS system wether it was carried out if not, they could also tell you if there were any other outstanding Quality Enhancements too (BMW term for non life threatening recalls i guess).

Good luck with the import would be interesting to hear how you get on as ive often wondered about doing the same thing.