Sign in to follow this  
jamieman

Help a Newbie with his first bmw :)

Hello everyone,

I am having a hard time deciding on my first car. I am looking at either a 1989 e30 318i auto coupe, or a e36 1994 318is auto coupe. Both have done 200,000km. I love the shape of the e30 but the e36 seems is quicker and newer. The e30 is $1800, and the e36 is $2750. Any advice would be appreciated about reliability etc

Thanks

Jamie

owning an e30 will teach you a lot of 'mechanical experience' :)

IMO, you should get a Manual as your first car. Will help you learn car control and encourage you to be more involved when driving. This will aid your cognitive development as a driver which imo is essential.

This could be your lucky day - I have a MANUAL e36is with black leather interior that's now become surplus to our requirements and could be wrestled from me for a fair price.....PM me if you're keen.

owning an e30 will teach you a lot of 'mechanical experience' :)

IMO, you should get a Manual as your first car. Will help you learn car control and encourage you to be more involved when driving. This will aid your cognitive development as a driver which imo is essential.

Both good wise opinions my friend! I have owned about 4 E30's . Been hooked on them since I was 16years of age. Once I bought my first E30 I couldn't see myself in any other car! Currently own a 1990 E30 325i Auto (gear box broken). A heads up on auto's : they drink abit more and cost more to fix if the gear box does decided to blow on you while doing (skids,drift) . So IMO I'd try look for a manual. Depends on your budget too. Mind you these are 23 years of age cars so don't be suprised to find things that need fixing/ replacing.

Keep us posted on what you end up getting .. Go E30 :P