Sign in to follow this  
Grant

E36 M3 S52 Info

Gidday

I was talking to a guy at the JDC Drags today who has just bought a 4 door E36 M3 (a 1996 6spd 3.2l).

He said that he has been struggling to find the full specs on it, and asked me to see what I could find in the BMWCC library.

Well, I can't find diddly squat, so am hoping that someone on here can hepl.

If you have any good links, or know all of the specs, please let me know.

He is after things like standing 1/4 mile, avg fuel consumption, 0 - 60mph, etc etc.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Grant

Grant,

Heres some information for him to chew on.

Engine Code: S52 B32

Cylinders: 24 valve in-line 6 (double VANOS)

Capacity: 3.2 L

Power: 236kW @ 7400 RPM

Horsepower: 321 HP

Torque: 350nm

Weight: 1535 kg

Maximum Speed: 259kmh (limited0

Acceleration: 0-100kmh in 5.5 sec

Standing Qarter Mile: 14.0 sec

Fuel Consumption: [City 11.89 KPL] [Highway 8.49 KPL]

Front Wheels/Tires: 7.5x17 Cast Alloy 225/45 ZR17

Rear Wheels/Tires: 8.5x17 Cast Alloy 245/40 ZR17

Edited by BMW POWER

FYI the engine is a S50B32.

The yanks call their M3 engine's S50B30's & S52B32, in reality they are built M50 & M52's respectively and prolly don't share anything in common with the Euro M3 engines except maybe the crank & rods!?!?!

Is wasn't the Bronze one off trademe was it??

Cheers Emma, great stuff.

Glenn, no it was a Dakar yellow one, he bought it from Jerry Clayton's 6 months ago.

Cheers

Grant

The yanks call their M3 engine's S50B30's & S52B32, in reality they are built M50 & M52's respectively and prolly don't share anything in common with the Euro M3 engines except maybe the crank & rods!?!?!

Ture, but I thought NZ always have the Euro version (with individual throttles). US M3 is M50 build-up.

96 M3 3.2 should have updated to the S52 engine already. S52M32 is correct I reckon.

Ture, but I thought NZ always have the Euro version (with individual throttles). US M3 is M50 build-up.

96 M3 3.2 should have updated to the S52 engine already. S52M32 is correct I reckon.

You will find the euro engines are still called S50B32's and share the same cast iron block as the S50B30.

The Yanks called them S52 because the M50 was changed to a M52 (with the introduction of the 2.5 (323) and 2.8 (328) which have a alloy block, except for the US 'cause they are so anal about anything new but they still went with the new naming.

The reason I mentioned that is, if you stick S52B32 into google you get a hole lot of US. crap, not the euro info you are looking for.

You will find the euro engines are still called S50B32's and share the same cast iron block as the S50B30.

The Yanks called them S52 because the M50 was changed to a M52 (with the introduction of the 2.5 (323) and 2.8 (328) which have a alloy block, except for the US 'cause they are so anal about anything new but they still went with the new naming.

The reason I mentioned that is, if you stick S52B32 into google you get a hole lot of US. crap, not the euro info you are looking for.

SPECIFICATIONS

US Model Coupe Engine Code: M52 B32

US Model Sedan Engine Code: M52 B32

US Model Convertible Engine Code: M52 B32

Euro Coupe Engine Code: S52 B32

Euro Sedan Engine Code: S52 B32

Euro Convertible Engine Code: S52 B32

Glenns right again.

For the 1996 model year, BMW M replaced the E36 M3 3.0 with the faster and more refined 3.2-liter version. For the European market, this model was fitted with the new S50 B32 engine, an evolution of the S50 B30, as well as a six-speed manual gearbox and detail refinements to the chassis. For the U.S. (and later Canadian) market, the M3 received its own powerplant, the S52, plus ASC+T traction control and a host of chassis upgrades. Both versions were also treated to a few cosmetic alterations.

from that BMW M site

Basically the S50B32 engine is the good one while the yanks S52B32 is a midly modified M52.

Difference is quite a bit: 321Hp(S50) vs 240Hp (S52)

Have a look through the ETK, no mention of a S52!!

S50 & S54 in 3.2l