Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Dave

Red Fan Light on the Stereo display

On E39s with the 16:9 video display there is a small red LED in the symbol of a fan. It is next to the selection knob.

Recently, mine has been on permanently even with the key out.

The fan, heater and other aspects of the display seem to work fine.

Anyone know why this LED is staying on?

Auxillary ventilation preset timing is turned on. Go into that mode & turn it off

Cheers Grant

Actually the timers were not set at all. It must have been after a battery disconnect. ie: no digits in the time values in either timer. As soon as I set them to 0:00 and made sure the timers were off then the LED went out.

Ive never used the feature however I have a friend who works for a heating element company. They make heating elements to go in radiator hoses and he offered to get me one. This is so that you plug the element into the mains (via a timer) and early on those winter mornings the car is all toastie warm when you get in to go to work.

Im just not sure about what hose to put it in.

Auxillary ventilation preset timing is turned on. Go into that mode & turn it off

Bottom hose of the radiator.

You could always go the whole hog and fit the original BMW webasto fuel burning heater option.... then you have remote control heater starter and everything