Sign in to follow this  
xr6twolf

A new convert

Hi Folks.

I'm Ray. My partner and I recently bought an E30 323i as a project but realised later it was going to cost too much to comply for what it was as rego had lapsed under previous owner.

Having spent a weekend dismantling 99% of the car I am stunned at how well built these were. No frozen threads or rusted stubborn bolts and bugger all wear for a 25yr old car.

I had a good drive prior to starting to rip it to bits and couldn't believe how well a 25yr old car handled and stopped - mighty impressed.

Anyway, parting out the E30 but exploring options buying one of the lower priced M3s on the market.

Any useful advice would be appreciated as I know very little about these things and what to look out for.

Hi Ray, good on you for asking about the M3's I am sure many will pitch in soon.

I assume you mean the E30 M3.

Where are you based?

Finally, welcome to the forum.

Hi Ray, good on you for asking about the M3's I am sure many will pitch in soon.

I assume you mean the E30 M3.

Where are you based?

Finally, welcome to the forum.

Hi

Thanks for that.

E30 or later would be fine $35K would be our maximum budget but would be nice to find something a little cheaper as I'd probably like to spend a bit on some good old servicing and preventative maintenance for my own peace of mind.

We are in Upper Hutt.

Pictures of XR6T?

I couldn't convince my dad to get one....

Pictures of XR6T?

I couldn't convince my dad to get one....

I honestly dont think he is missing much. They go like a scalded cat but need money spent to get them to handle and stop anythink like a car with that sort of power should.

When all is said and done they are still a big taxi that has been up specced to make it go faster and worst of all they suffer from the ever present "engineered to a budget" factor that impacts on anything out of Australia.

I am learning quickly that equivalent European models cost a lot more for bloody good reason!