Sign in to follow this  
sam726

Rough, Rumbly and Powerless E34

Hi Guys,

Just checking in the general discussion incase i get some more advice. As i posted in the maintenance section i have a 1990 535is and just the other day i was driving it and it suddenly started running rough almost like it has a bad miss, just running crap. Here are the symptoms.

- Idle - fairly similar to normal just a bit rougher

- Low rev range - Car is loud, feels completely powerless and if you push the throttle right down the car struggles to move as if its choking or not able to get petrol. There is also a strange almost metallic tink occasionally, seems to be only at a certain rev range.

- Higher revs - Car almost seems to be driving normal just a less power and louder than normal. Almost sounds like a boxer subaru when the revs get high.

- Sounds like a tractor.

I took it to be scanned and the o2 sensor off the cat came back as being at fault. What are the opinions of everyone on here? Is this likely to be the problem, almost sounds like the symptoms are too severe to be just a sensor, surely?

Thanks for any help,

Greatly appreciated,

Sam