Sign in to follow this  
max

e30 Strut Diameter / Coilovers

I have a '89 e30 Touring that I want to put some coilovers in, all say they fit only 51mm struts.

Am I right in saying my car has 51mm as opposed to 45mm? It's had an M325i transplant, which I'm guessing required no modification of the shock department.

Does anyone have any info on the difference between touring/sedan suspension setups? From what I've seen / read a few companies make touring specific setups.

Just measure them. They could be either or. If the car was originally a 318i then they are quite likely 45mm

If it does have 45mm struts its no big deal to source some 51mm and bolt them in, they are a direct replacement.If you get a new set you can still drive the car while you get the welding done on the new ones, then your car will only be off the road for a few hours.

I have a '89 e30 Touring that I want to put some coilovers in, all say they fit only 51mm struts.

Am I right in saying my car has 51mm as opposed to 45mm? It's had an M325i transplant, which I'm guessing required no modification of the shock department.

Does anyone have any info on the difference between touring/sedan suspension setups? From what I've seen / read a few companies make touring specific setups.

instead of measuring,

look at the shock retainer caps, easy

threaded on the inside= 51mm

threaded on the outside=45mm

have 51mm struts if you can't find any local

cheers

Jon