Sign in to follow this  
GerryAttrick

GUARD ROLLING(FLARING) ON E39 IN AUCKLAND(SORTED...I HOPE!)

I've just fitted new 18"(245 x 45 x 18) tyres on my E39 Touring and the right rear is "just" catching on the inner guard lip - all the others are OK. I have had it in for a suspension and alignment check and its all spot on so I need to get the rear guard lip slightly rolled. I'll do both to keep things even.

Any recommendations on the best place to get this done - preferably on the North Shore.

Happy to pay cash for Christmas

I have to tow a trailer down country next weekend (16th) so it would be nice to get it done for that otherwise I'll need to bung the old tyres back on for the trip. I had 265/35x18s before and the low profile worked well but I hate the lack of give in the sidewalls and the 45s give me a more comfortable ride.

Edited by GerryAttrick

Do you still have sls?

If its just the one side rubbing it could be that?

Do you still have sls?

If its just the one side rubbing it could be that?

I don't think mine has SLS although I have to confess to not checking. (Memo to self- "have a look and find out this weekend). However the Alignment guys said they could not do anything to fix the problem and I assume they would have mentioned if SLS was the issue. Its OK under normal running but just when I hit a dip at speed and the suspension compresses. Its only just catching and pulls off tiny pieces of rubber that look like mould nipples - hard to even see where it is marking the tyre itself.

I have a rubber mallet so I might just try "massaging" it with that.

Its more an issue to the "Passenger seat Airbag". I could take the E36 at a pinch but its not rego'd at the moment and I don't want to spend the money on that this close to Christmas just for the one trip

I don't think mine has SLS although I have to confess to not checking. (Memo to self- "have a look and find out this weekend). However the Alignment guys said they could not do anything to fix the problem and I assume they would have mentioned if SLS was the issue. Its OK under normal running but just when I hit a dip at speed and the suspension compresses. Its only just catching and pulls off tiny pieces of rubber that look like mould nipples - hard to even see where it is marking the tyre itself.

I have a rubber mallet so I might just try "massaging" it with that.

Its more an issue to the "Passenger seat Airbag". I could take the E36 at a pinch but its not rego'd at the moment and I don't want to spend the money on that this close to Christmas just for the one trip

Sorted - it does indeed seem to have SLS but with the aid of a rubber mallet I managed to "pursuade" the arch lip to move a few mm and hopefully that has sorted it. I'll know for sure this weekend when I tow a trailer across to the Coromandel. -_-

So you have gone to a 20mm narrower tyre and now it is rubbing, sounds like the wheel offset is incorrect.

but also up to a 45 series. I would say the height of the tyre is causing the issue, it should really be a 245/40/18 from memory :)

My guess would've been that sls was deflating a little causing it to rub?

but also up to a 45 series. I would say the height of the tyre is causing the issue, it should really be a 245/40/18 from memory :)

I think you are correct. From memory the rolling radius is quite a bit more and I think that coupled with maybe the SLS needing a sort may have been the issue.

I did notice that when I jacked the car up and then let it down the clearance between the tyre and lip of the arch was quite small but after a brief run the clearance was significantly greater. I'll get the SLS checked at the next service if it seems OK in the interim...if not that will happen sooner.

Do SLS faults show up on a computer check or is SLS solely a manual operation. I have access to Carsofr & my Bentley Manual DVD is on its was so that should help