Sign in to follow this  
DRYICE

Fitting 19" rims on e36?

Hi there, has anyone fitted some 19" rims on their e36? Wondering if there is anything drastic that you'd have to change to fit them?

Cheers,

Geoff.

You may fined wheel contact problems with the inner guards which is also an instant WOF fail ,

I have seen 18" (infact in some cases 17') that have caused contact problems

you also have to keep the same rolling radius as the orginal wheel & tyre setup which would mean you would need rubberbands for tyres ( ie super hard ride & can actually upset the handling especially on bumpy bits of road

Edited by vonripsnorter

Talk to jed on here.

He's just got 19's and there's no problems.  They look great.

wow, thats interesting, is the offset correct??

you tend to find with the correct offset you have inner guard problems, I have seen this with the fitting of genuine rims with the correct offset, I understand that Holden rims fit, but the offset is wrong

of course, its tyre size where you can come unstuck

I've seen 235/40/18's rub & beleave it or not, even 225/45/ 17's on genuine rims

Edited by vonripsnorter

vonripsnorter are you from a tyre shop or service provider of some kind. Thanks a lot for your imput guys-definitly reconsidering options.

The regs for getting a WOF are getting harder & harder every day it seems ( & as some of you will have found)

and "ANY" sign of a tyre touching is a big no no !!

note all my previous comments are mainly related to the front wheels as its seems to be these that will touch the body first for obvious reasons

& Dryice, in answer to your question, I used to work at a BMW dealership for around 5 years so I saw all sorts of mods & modification problems over that time!!

But I'm sure someone out there will have a (legal) solution

Guest Spargo

Genuine hartge 19" rims will fit, as far as i know, they also come with steering stops to stop body contact.

Yeah fronts will be your biggest worry - Do you really want to go that big? It will def affect your handling, and give you gried on our 'high quality roads'. Dont want to see one of those 'I bent my rims' threads.. Oh yeah plz say they aint chrome. Spinners even.

Edited by Dnz

Genuine hartge 19" rims will fit, as far as i know, they also come with steering stops to stop body contact.

There are Steering stops that are a OEM BMW item and can be found in the ETK to eliminate the inner wheel well rubbing on the E36.

I'm running on Jamex springs with 215/17/45 and I've got rubbage on the inner guard but it only happens on full lock when parking - so not very often. It's just one of those things - for every action...

Hi there, has anyone fitted some 19" rims on their e36?

At least someone on trademe did...

Auction number: 30742255

Have you also looked into the impact of tyre cost. I can tell you (as I was misquoted), that a set of 235/45/18 were going to cost $2800 fitted. The correct size, 235/45/17 only cost $1800. What do you reckon a set of 19" will cost.

Then took it for a warrant and the clowns did look into the rubbing under the guards. It was close and these are the correct wheels and tyres.

Edited by cainchapman

Well i don't want to imagine how much it's going to cost when it comes to time when dad needs to change his tires ... 275 19'' .... expensive ...

I've got 19's on my e36. They fit like a glove. 235/35/19. And with a 40mm drop from some A/C Schnitzer springs. You know how to baseball bat your guards? I just rolled it round the tyre with a hot air gun warming the paint. I've also got 5mm spacers on the hub to prevent chassis rub on the inside edge.

This whole topic scares me! I had 225/35/18s on my last E36 now I've decided to up the ante with some 19"s but it sounds like it's going to be a headache. Anyone know if you can get 30 series 19"s I've never seen lower profile than 35mm... :thumbsdown:

I dont see why you'd want to have 19's - its kinda performance hampering. 18's will be plenty..Just stick to 18's and go wider.

Cos they look fat as all hell. Nothin like cruisin round town in it. If I wanted performance. (gasps) I would have bought a Silvia.

yeah my car had 18's and it wont get a warrant if it rubs on the inside of the gaurd i think its sweet otha wise

I had 17'' on the E36 and they rubbed with in full lock, but LTSA still passed it .. hah ..

i dont think 19s should be too much of a problem, provided the wheels are of correct width. i've seen people with 20s on their e36s, and they say it doesnt require too much work.

Cos they look fat as all hell. Nothin like cruisin round town in it.

Totally agree mate, the bigger the rims, the more class u got. N besides, DRYICE owns a 320i, dont think 19s will have that big an impact on performance.

Correct size for an E36 running 17 inch by7.5 rims is 235/40 17 not 45

so if you go to a 19 inch to keep the same rolling circumference ( not change your gearing) you need a 235/30 19 if any ome makes such a tyre.

If you stick to teh correct tyre size, rim size and offset you do not get the crap problems and seriously crap handling, just crap ride.

You will find most run a 225/45 on a 17x7.5" rim, which according to my TOYO catalogue has a height of 637mm which equates to a 225/40 R18 and a 225/35 R19 is 640mm so all should fit without rubbing, provided you get wheels that are the correct offset & width.