Sign in to follow this  
aaronmartin

Pusher / aux fan dead

The last few weeks I've noticed that my aircon was not particularly cold driving around town, and only really got working at open road speeds, but even then never really cooling down to the nice 18C that I like.

Today I finally figured out that my aux fan was not working, and that the 50amp! fuse for it was blown.

Since there was a spare fuse sitting right above it, I thought I'd try my luck replacing the fuse and seeing if everything worked ok.

However the old rule that fuses only blow for a reason was true, and no sooner had I replaced the fuse and walked around to the drivers side when I noticed a huge plume of smoke coming up from under the front of the bonnet!

I ripped the fuse back out, but it was already burnt out. The smoke was coming from the aux fan, so I assume it is stuffed?

Replacement fans seem massively expensive ($200 on EBay, $600+ locally) so my question is could it be the fan that is at fault, or could something else be faulty, and that has killed the fan (and will kill a new one?)

Will be the fan itself but will also be easy to determine by looking at it