Sign in to follow this  
Kenn527

E30 Guards Rubbing sigh

Hi team

The e30 is finally getting some stuff done and a few little tidy ups. I have just bought xxr002s all 16x8 and the tyre chaps have fitted some 215x50 R16s. The front looks like a hilux and is about 4 inches above the tyre and the rear tyres are rubbing a bit round corners but visually sitting at the right height. The car is on standard shocks and springs.

I have rolled the guards slightly today which is grand and now looking for some expert advice. If I replace the standard springs with stiffer options in the rear and lower the front with stiffer springs will my problems be solved?

Any help is greatly appreciated and just to let you know I will be looking at coil overs but with a few other expenses looming ahead will have to settle for a cost effective option for now.

Thanks heaps

Nice choice of wheels!

I think the tyres you're running are a bit big considering the low offset, especially if you're looking to lower it.

Check out my e30 with 002's, I'm running 195/45 tyres: Visit My Website

I still get a bit of rub with my small tyres at that ride height.

If you're not into the whole stretched tyre look and you want the extra rubber on there then I'd consider going for a lower profile tyre maybe 215/40?

How low are you looking to go?

Ok cool,

That gives me somewhere to start I tried telling the chap who sold me the tyres that. I don't mind the stretched look at all but considering I have four new tyres may wait and then put on some smaller ones.

I'm not looking to go quite as low as yourself but think If I have the guard sitting just ever so slightly above the tyre I could get away with it.

Nice car by the way love the 002 look really happy with the wheels just a pain about the rub guess I will have to look at wait a while before lowering it.

Really appreciate the help matey

No worries mate.

If you have the guard just above the tyre you're gunna need some stiff springs and harder shocks.

In my last e30 I tried a set of 002's and it had guards rolled and was lowered on 40mm jamex springs and it was more or less undriveable with 205/40 tyres.

The only reason I get away with it on my current e30 is because of my high spring rates and hard shocks.

By all means since you've bought the tyres see how you go, but you might have to roll the sh*t out of your guards and stay looking "like a hilux", because you'll probably find once you lower the front it's gunna start catching the guard on the tyre when you turn corners, which will bend the inner lip of the guard out and chip your paint.

I think you should definately invest in some better shocks, some bilstein sports for example, because they'll help with rubbing when you go over bumps and they'll make your car handle so much better.

Cheers for the comments on my car, put up some pics of yours!

Yeah matey will put some photos up as soon as this weather in Wellington settles down. Yeah 002's are the business just for the record

Remember when lowering the wheel actually sits more inward to the guard at the top. Best to lower it and then look at where you are at?

I'm aware that the top of the tyre will move inward slightly if lowering the car and that might help me achieve a little more clearance but I'm not sure how much more I want to lower it however. If lowering it another inch I can't imagine the camber will change much?

Cheers Luke

Get better suspension, roll your guards and a lower profile tyre.

If I can have this without rubbing then so can you..

If all else fails PM me, I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

Posted Image

What kinda tricks Jason?

Ps: You're vert is looking so sweet! One of my favourite e30s out there

Edited by sascha

Yeah matey fantastic look you have goin will let you know my progress next step is some extreme rolling of the rear guards and H&R springs front and back