Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

E36 318i donor car

So a mate of mine has a '93 318i manual, nz new with a totally naffed interior that he's looking at upgrading to a newer model. Aside from the shagged cloth and non-existent headlining it's in pretty good condition given its 330,000+ kms. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Getrag 220 (?) fitted to the 318 would be a straight bolt up fit to the M50B25 in my car? The input shaft bearings are in need of replacement but other than that mechanically it seems to be in decent shape.

Did I read on here somewhere that the 318 sway bars are a thicker diameter than the M3 items? Would the stock 3.15 diff and prop shaft suit the M50? (Assuming the manual driveshaft would be longer than the auto version?)

Add to the potential manual conversion all the panels I need to hide the many battle scars on my own car (CalypsoRot too - score!!) and the added bonus of a full spare set of lights ( I seem to attract flying stones like Mick Jagger attracts chicks) PLUS 3 keys with locks and EWS to suit (our car only came with 1 key) it could well be the steal of the century.

Bearing in mind no project is EVER as easy as it sounds what potential gremlins do I need to watch out for? Will the flywheel & starter on the M50 marry up to the 220? Will I need a different size clutch? And what about recoding the ecu post conversion?

I realise most of the answers I need are hidden on the forum somewhere but it would be great to have all the info in one place :ph34r: