Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

E39 Speakers

Hey Guys

Just a bit of help wanted regarding speakers in an E39, 6 Stack CD BMW Business RDS stereo.

We put the stereo on a few days ago, but found that none of the (6) speakers in the front work. Tried fader, balance & the rest of the settings, but still nothing.

Checked all visible wires etc, but all appears in order.

Any information on what may be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know how to access the headunit itself to check that the front wires haven't fallen out?

Just checking if we could do anything to check, instead of taking it to BMW and finding out that wires were loose. :lol:

Thanks,

Emma.

Edited by BMW POWER

Im not sure about the E39, but the E36s have a little tab on each side, which when gently pried with a small screwdriver opens up (hinged on the stereo side) to reveal a screw behind each one - undo that and your head unit should slide out. As for what it could be - yeah loose wires are a possibility, or a blown channel. Dont the 5 series come with an amp under one of the seats or something odd like that? So it could be a fuse. I dont know - screw the OEM sh*t - chuck an MP3 player in the dash and then you wouldnt have any need for a stacker.

Upgrade the wiring for the speakers at the same time and you should be jake.

But then again, take all this with a grain of salt, Im just going off my experience with an E36 (which was rip out the old, carefully install the new....

Im not sure about the E39, but the E36s have a little tab on each side, which when gently pried with a small screwdriver opens up (hinged on the stereo side) to reveal a screw behind each one - undo that and your head unit should slide out. As for what it could be - yeah loose wires are a possibility, or a blown channel. Dont the 5 series come with an amp under one of the seats or something odd like that? So it could be a fuse. I dont know - screw the OEM sh*t - chuck an MP3 player in the dash and then you wouldnt have any need for a stacker.

Upgrade the wiring for the speakers at the same time and you should be jake.

But then again, take all this with a grain of salt, Im just going off my experience with an E36 (which was rip out the old, carefully install the new....

Yeah, i found out off bimmerforums that theres a big possibility that it is to do with the amp.

Tried to find the amp, but couldn't find it.

in the E34 the amp lives in the boot mounted vertically behind the trim on the LHS looking into the boot.....It looks like a metal box with a stack of wres going into it.I will have a search on the ETK to see if I can find where it lives in a E39

Emma it appears the amp is in the same place on the e39....

Posted Image

Edited by kiwi535

If it is the amp, get a quote to replace it from BMW and look at a quality Audio installer too and get them to have the system work using another amp too.

It may be cheaper to have a new install of something else. I know Milan has just imported one from the states. I think it was less than a $1000. Will confirm.

I was wrong. Note, it is an amp for a 730.

It was $750 USD for the amp + $130 NZD GST and duty.

Cheers, Paul & Cain.

Had a look on ETK before we went investigating, and looked where i have been told on bimmerforums.

Even printed out the picture off ETK. Still couldn't find it. Looked everywhere in the boot.

Maybe there isn't an amp in this particular 5er. (523 SE)

As for amp prices :lol: Thats crazy.

you looked behind the trim on the lhs???

Yep, sure have.

Have even pulled off all the trim on the left hand side, still nothing.

Looks like a BMW job now