Sign in to follow this  
Rip_it_up

buying a BMW what to look for etc

But GTX's are renouned for being expensive to keep/maintain!

How many gear boxes did you go thru in the end?

went through one gearbox, sold it with the blown gearbox in it, got $6900 for it in the end, had a buyer lined up for $9500 as well then i blew my gearbox was pretty gutted but $hit happens :angry: heres a pic of it

Posted Image

Something to bear in mind RIP, is your last car was, more than likely, a car you thrashed and revved it's balls off.

A BMW is a class car, not a high performance car ( the model you are looking at anyway ). SO what I am saying is you have to remember that you should'nt thrash it or ring it's piece out showing off, or what ever. It will cost you in the pocket if you do. And I think it looks pretty stupid seeing someone thrash a BMW. Just dosen't look right. Except on a track, of course.

I've owned myy 318iS about 1.5 years now, and it's a joy and pleasure to drive. Cost me all up 640 bucks on servicing, including a door actuator at 160 bucks I think it was.

Edited by 318is

Something to bear in mind RIP, is your last car was, more than likely, a car you thrashed and revved it's balls off.

A BMW is a class car, not a high performance car ( the model you are looking at anyway ). SO what I am saying is you have to remember that you should'nt thrash it or ring it's piece out showing off, or what ever. It will cost you in the pocket if you do. And I think it looks pretty stupid seeing someone thrash a BMW. Just dosen't look right. Except on a track, of course.

I've owned myy 318iS about 1.5 years now, and it's a joy and pleasure to drive. Cost me all up 640 bucks on servicing, including a door actuator at 160 bucks I think it was.

ahah yer i drove it hard, but didnt thrash it as such, i look after my cars, yer but now im wanting to go away from the turbos and get something more reliable and just for cruising in to work and back and resonable on petrol, so that brings me to my next question, are bmw's good on gas genearlly? i know autos do chew the petrol but wont be near as bad as my gtx which would literally cost 20 bucks a day going to town and back :angry: also one more question, is there anyway you can tell if a automatic transmission is crapping out? or is it prety much just the luck of the draw if you get a good one or not? i dont know to much about autos never had one before, any help appreciated !

cheers

eg one got charged $800 for some distributor bearing on his B16A!

dude your mate is a retard.

and to note, my honda has not given me any sh*t engine wise since the purchase, goin on 6 years i think??.. reliable... f**k yea.

Edited by *sic

and to note, my honda has not given me any sh*t engine wise since the purchase, goin on 6 years i think??.. reliable... f**k yea.

Agreed... My Civic done 175000km in 9 years and still going strong.

In fact, Honda made over 15 million VTEC engines in the last 13 years and had no major failure in them.

Guest Andrew

Agreed... My Civic done 175000km in 9 years and still going strong.

In fact, Honda made over 15 million VTEC engines in the last 13 years and had no major failure in them.

I think the quote is they have had no major vtech unit problems.

i did say that i've seen civics raped for years and not give up.

as for retard mate, yeah maybe, that was through the dealer workshop so probably his own fault.

edit: I actually have a vid somewhere of some guys trying to destroy a B16, got if off the net someone else might have seen it as well. the engine just does not die. Pretty funny

Edited by petone