Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

e30 ignition assembly

I have managed to get the slip ring and everything off but had to cold chisel off the flange and the round locking stud under the column. The allow assembly was busted anyway.

For removing my donor ignition i need to extract that locking stud/bolt without wrecking stuff. Has anyone worked this out?

Its a smooth round head bolt that screws in on an angle

I have read lots of threads on removing the barrel but can't find anything on this.

Cant remember on the E30, although I should. That said -haven't actualy removed an ignition barrel from one.

Sounds like the usual shear bolt. If so, a hammer & centre punch to ease them out.

Just removed one at work today from a Corolla to have the lock repaired. Bottom bolt was easy, top one a right pain in the butt - tucked up inside the dash :angry:

yep thats correct grant

I use a grinder with a fine blade or a hacksaw to cut a small slot in the head, and then screw it out with a screwdriver, not usually very tight. Also makes it easy to screw back in.

Ha Dave, maybe on E30's but you wouldn't get a grinder or blade into many jappers.

Once they are out - I just replace with cap screws & wind them up tiiight!

Cant remember on the E30, although I should. That said -haven't actualy removed an ignition barrel from one.

Sounds like the usual shear bolt. If so, a hammer & centre punch to ease them out.

Just removed one at work today from a Corolla to have the lock repaired. Bottom bolt was easy, top one a right pain in the butt - tucked up inside the dash :angry:

Thanks.