Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Dave

Power source at E39 mirror

Just got back in from working in Malaysia for the last fortnight, and bought a CarCam DVR. Nice wee unit that mounts on the windscreen and continuously records from 2 cameras (facing forward and rearward) to an SD card.

Now rather than having a messy cable down to the cigarette lighter socket, I would rather find a 12 V source up in the rear view mirror, interior lamp area of my 2001 E39 to tap into. Preferably Ignition switched or even better still, operating on the 15 minute go to sleep power.

I have always struggled with the WDS diagrams and will just have a poke around and see what I can find up there, but just thought someone might know.

Cheers Dave

Dave, connect to the vanity light supply - lamp above the sunvisor, this is switched, not delay though

Dave, connect to the vanity light supply - lamp above the sunvisor, this is switched, not delay though

Cheers Mate

Hi Grant and others, FYI info I set up this unit today using the Vanity/Mirror light supply as suggested. While in there, I checked out some of the other wiring. Both the main interior light module and the Sun roof switch have 15 minute delay logic on them but they are not a power source, just a logic level. In theory a simple FET circuit off one of these logic levels should switch a 12VDC feed on and off.