Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

E90 Buying advice

I'm in the market for 2x more doors as the coupe is a little impractical for the kiddie seat. I was thinking a 4 door/touring E46 but finding what I want is difficult (NZ new, lowish km's, facelift, 2.5 or 3.0l, service history, leather, sport seats etc, etc etc). However, I have seen for $5k more I can get into an E90.

Is there anything specific to look out for? I'm thinking a diesel but it largely depends on whats available in my price range.

Well, what is your price range?

I am in your same position as you, had a 330Ci with a kid coming. Traded up into a e90LCI 320d and I love it (both the kid and the car I might add).

You can tell the fuel usage from my sig, but from a pure financial stand-point, you need to be doing 20000km+ to justify the extra rego and trouble of getting RUCs. But the way a diesel drives is very well suited as a family car, try one and you will wonder if you need a 2.5/3.0 petrol.

Totally irralevant but my grandfather has a 2006 e90 bmw 330d with 49k km on clock. full service history, sports leather interior, 6 speed tiptonic turbo etc etc.

They are a dream to drive and cost less than 100 bucks to fill, he got from north shore auckland to christchurch on a tank.

Awesome cars and nice to look at,

Just dont forget its not petrol! :P

So what are the common faults? The question isn't about does the diesel drive better, or can I find one for my price etc, etc, etc... It's more about when looking at them is there anything specific to look for (apart from the obvious stuff that all new BMW's suffer from like cooling system components, electrics functioning & service history). I do know that some of the E46 diesels had problems with the swirl flap - does this problem affect the E90 as well? Any other problems with the petrol versions?

I have driven both petrol and diesel versions and don't have a strong preference either way.

No major swirl flap trouble for e90. It only affects the M47TUD20 and M57TUD25/30 engines in e46.

Electronic steering lock (not unlocking), squeaky door (from the ///M bit of plastic on the entry sill)

There's also a fairly comprehensively list here...

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=108166

Edited by SpikeyLemon

One I have looked at had the run flats replaced with std tyres, but no spare. Any suugestions on how to get around this? Can a spare be retrofitted in the boot, or would I need to stick with the can of goo & a compressor?