Sign in to follow this  
max

Drive Shaft Centre Bearing Advice

Recently I've had a shuddering / viabration feeling coming from the rear of the car under acceleration from a standstill in 1st gear which stops when I get upto speed. Also happens if I take off in second but to a lesser degree (was testing it). I've done some reading and figured its the centre bearing on the driveshaft.

Will it get worse and fail completely over time or just continue to be annoying?

When I had my coupling/guibo replaced a few months back I was told my driveshaft is a few mm too long from when the engine and gearbox were swapped out, which is putting pressure on these parts at the rear end.

I figure when I get this centre bearing replaced I will get the driveshaft shortened. Anyone in Chch who can suggest a good place to get this done? I've had some work done on the car by DCH motorsport which I was happy with but its so damn far away from my work its a mega bain. Or maybe I'm just lazy.

Any advice is appreciated!

*wtb: centre bearing if I'm right.

Bump.

Did e30 autos come with a different length driveshaft than a manual?

Yep, but I thought it was more than a few mm?

also, is the Drive-shaft balanced? when they are made they are balanced when put together (as they are two piece) if you take the splines out and put in a different way, it will vibrate.