Sign in to follow this  
Muzza48

E39 MID display

Hi,

I've got a Sept 2001 540i. Everything is good in the car except the CD changer which I've changed for a MP3 player from bimmernav which so far has been more trouble than it's worth.

But, at lunchtime today I went to start the car and it didn't start - starter motor just gave a sound like the battery didn't have enough grunt to turn the motor over. Retried and it started and runs fine. The battery was only checked yesterday as part of my plan to sort the god awful mp3 player out.

BUT - my radio display which used to be black and white and showed the telephone and nav system now is an ugly blue/white thing without the NAV and Phone.

Has anyone had this happen and how do I get my display back?

Thanks

Murray

you mean the actual colour of the screen?

I believe you have a choice and it's in the settings menu.

Mine was set to brown (ew) so I changed it to a more palatable blue

Hi mate

In the boot of your car is there a navigation box mounted somewhere, possibly on the top side? It looks like a big black DVD player. When my I got my 01 E39 it had this which I found to get in the way a lot and had no plans to convert it to NZ so I removed it, after removing my display changed to the blue/grey.

Possibly this has been short-circuited or something and now that it isn't connected it's caused your display to change?

Firstly, you do not have a MID

You have the On-Board Monitor - a completely different system to the MID

What you are seeing is the result of the nav system crashing and not prodcing any video. The TV tuner notices that the nav is not communicating, and takes over control of the display.

the resultant graphics are now generated by the TV tuner - and appear in a different style.

Let you car go to sleep (key off, close and lock car, wait 15,min) and then open the car and switch on the nav. The nav will reboot after a sleep, and hopefully will come back

Otherwise, if the nav is still not back up, it has failled and will need to be replaced.

I am not sure if you have the NAVJ japanese system or the NAV (NAVE) Euro system (Mk2, Mk3 or Mk4)

Happy to sell my old unit.

Any idea as to value, Jochen?

^^^^ Jap nav unit? Worthless - chuck it over your shoulder

Jochen - Murray still has the Jap unit (needs a conversion <_< ) but he mentioned to me the other day that he had disconnected a plug in the nav unit so hense the change of screen format.