Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Flickering Xenons.

So for the past year I have been experiencing flickering Xenons and I have not been able to track down what is causing it. It is both of them not just one so this suggests a short somewhere ??. Its also very very random , It will happen for a few days and then things could be fine for a few months then start doing it again. I don't want to start replacing expensive stuff if its not the contributing factor. I have been around all the earth points (I know of) and secured them. Checked all wiring I know of and that seems to be all ok ??. No errors showing up on a scan.

Possible loose solder joint in the lcm ?? , Any ideas anybody ??

So for the past year I have been experiencing flickering Xenons and I have not been able to track down what is causing it. It is both of them not just one so this suggests a short somewhere ??. Its also very very random , It will happen for a few days and then things could be fine for a few months then start doing it again. I don't want to start replacing expensive stuff if its not the contributing factor. I have been around all the earth points (I know of) and secured them. Checked all wiring I know of and that seems to be all ok ??. No errors showing up on a scan.

Possible loose solder joint in the lcm ?? , Any ideas anybody ??

Normally the ballast which is at fault.

Google "flickering xenon" for lots of info

Otherwise, it is simple End of Life for the bulbs. Replace the bulbs. Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensit...amp#End_of_life

Cheers for that, Have had a good look around, alot of it though is all over the place and suggests all sorts of things so is hard to narrow down the cause, May be a case of swapping things out with the help of the local wrecker until I find the problem then replace that part with new. What would the price of a new set of bulbs be anybody know off hand ??.

Did you buy a DC ballast rather than a AC one? those are unstable and cause flicker, Or your grounding which was a problem i had with mine.

Edited by aw-krazy

Cheers for that, Have had a good look around, alot of it though is all over the place and suggests all sorts of things so is hard to narrow down the cause, May be a case of swapping things out with the help of the local wrecker until I find the problem then replace that part with new. What would the price of a new set of bulbs be anybody know off hand ??.

do you know the type of lamp you have?

I'm sure I've got a pair of bulbs lying around.

I bought about 5 pairs off eBay earlier this year.

Not OEM but might help you diagnose.

PM me - free (you pay postage)

Cheers for the Reply's guys, going to hold off on the bulbs for the moment , If just one was flickering then I would have presumed an on the way out bulb but both of them flickering together at the same time suggests something else going on somewhere.

Cheers for the Reply's guys, going to hold off on the bulbs for the moment , If just one was flickering then I would have presumed an on the way out bulb but both of them flickering together at the same time suggests something else going on somewhere.

I would go buy a new ballast, make sure it is an AC ballast as that will delivery a continuous current as opposed to the DC. Make sure you get the right wattage.

Ok so have fixed this problem after getting my arse into gear and really checking things out. Flickering was caused by a short on the rear right hand side tail light. Problem solved :D