Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

e30 318i m10 cuts out under throttle

Have just done the HG on a '85 318i with the m10 engine........ no spare bits left over except one weird looking plug/screw with a coarse thread. is about an m6 diameter......

Anyway the car runs sweetly at idle and low revs but cuts out under throttle at around 3000 rpm. It doesn't stall just drops down to about 1100rpm then kicks away again.

I'm thinking fuel pumps(s) but have no fuel pressure gauge. Is there an easy way to isolate a fault between the two pumps and/or the fpr without a gauge?

I have not checked the timing with a light yet but its pretty close.

Fault did not exist prior to HG change.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Have just done the HG on a '85 318i with the m10 engine........ no spare bits left over except one weird looking plug/screw with a coarse thread. is about an m6 diameter......

Anyway the car runs sweetly at idle and low revs but cuts out under throttle at around 3000 rpm. It doesn't stall just drops down to about 1100rpm then kicks away again.

I'm thinking fuel pumps(s) but have no fuel pressure gauge. Is there an easy way to isolate a fault between the two pumps and/or the fpr without a gauge?

I have not checked the timing with a light yet but its pretty close.

Fault did not exist prior to HG change.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Set the timing and no change.

Looks like i have the external inline pump with the transfer/sender in the tank. Pulled the sender unit and not sure if it even has a pump in it. Can anyone confirm the options?

It is a large while plastic tube with a screen on the base. A float moving inside put no sign of a pump module in there. 3 pin connector (gauge plus empty light?)and 2 metal hoses in/out one big one small. I blew through both hoses and there is no resistance.

Bought a HP fuel pressure gauge and hooked it up in line, pressure was around 3 bar to begin with then after 10 mins it drops down to around 2 bar and thats when it plays up. sneaky F*****g fuel pump.

Car is stalling - knows its going up for sale once fixed...... :lol:

Bought a HP fuel pressure gauge and hooked it up in line, pressure was around 3 bar to begin with then after 10 mins it drops down to around 2 bar and thats when it plays up. sneaky F*****g fuel pump.

Car is stalling - knows its going up for sale once fixed...... :lol:

issue finally resolved, may have been a combination of things, car had non-standard fuel pump which appeared to be tired, a 2.5 bar FPR instead of the haynes listed 3 bar, and the tps was full of sludge from the HG failure.(maybe from the inlet being inverted during the repair?).