Sign in to follow this  
jcerecke

e30 not starting, think maybe computer?

So I loaned my car to a mate who was driving it around in the rain and it just died on him. Cranks over but doesn't start. If you leave it a couple minutes it cranks over starts for maybe a second then dies. Sometimes it idles for a couple seconds down near like 3-400RPM then dies. Throttle does nothing to bring RPM up during these fleeting moments.

Talked to Pete at Eurorec and when I mentioned the water he pointed me to the computer which I pulled out and held on it's side to see a whole lot of water run out of it...........

I opened it up and while it doesn't look all that corroded, it's definitely started. Haha as a side note, I wondered what would happen if I tried to start the car with the computer unplugged and it ran for longer/better than it did with it plugged in but still died after a few seconds. L-Jetronic computer by the way.

So really just looking for advice, I'm guessing it's not going to be repairable if it's water damage. Where should I go for a replacement computer and is it worth upgrading to Motronic?

Had the same with my race car when the windscreen leaked.

Dry it out completely (covers off) in hot water cupboard or similar & you may get out of jail with it.

Hardly worth converting to Motronic - quite an effort for any little gain.

Ok, I might resolder some of the more corroded bits too and see how it goes. Cheers.

Ok, I might resolder some of the more corroded bits too and see how it goes. Cheers.

Ok gave the corroded parts a gentle clean, and resoldered a bunch of points. Chucked it back in the car just dangling and it started up and ran fine for quite a while. Then somehow touched the key and the computer with each hand and got a shock?! Screwing the computer back into place (therefore earthing it) makes the car fail to start, but separated again and it starts and runs fine. Might've soldered two pads together that I wasn't supposed to??? I've double checked it all but can't see where I went wrong. I think I might need a replacement from you hotwire? Is there anything I could possibly check voltage wise with the wiring?