Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob789

Gearbox problem?

Hi, I've had my e46 328i (tiptronic?) for about 3 months now and very happy with it.

Recently it's got a problem with the gearbox. Everyone now and then when I overtake (at any speeds high or low) or drive with a bit of a heavy foot I can feel something slip then all of a sudden the car looses heaps of power and creates a serious shudder. The only way to get rid of it is to turn the car off and on then it's fine.

No lights come up. When you bring it to a stop it does it at idle in any gear.

Any ideas? I've taken it to my local mechanic but it does it when it wants too so it's very hard too explain it.

Thanks,

Jamie

Hi, I've had my e46 328i (tiptronic?) for about 3 months now and very happy with it.

Recently it's got a problem with the gearbox. Everyone now and then when I overtake (at any speeds high or low) or drive with a bit of a heavy foot I can feel something slip then all of a sudden the car looses heaps of power and creates a serious shudder. The only way to get rid of it is to turn the car off and on then it's fine.

No lights come up. When you bring it to a stop it does it at idle in any gear.

Any ideas? I've taken it to my local mechanic but it does it when it wants too so it's very hard too explain it.

Thanks,

Jamie

apart from the mechanical check over

was it also scanned? some garages don't have scan gear

Hi, no I don't think so. If no light came up on the dash would it still give a fault code?

Hi, no I don't think so. If no light came up on the dash would it still give a fault code?

Yes fault codes can be generated without activating the check lights.

Generic OBD scanning gear won't show what you need. Get it in to a mechanic that has the proper gear and get it scanned.

Edited by M-Spec

yes it can in some situations,

let me know if you want it scanned

Edited by JKSE