Sign in to follow this  
jacknz

E36 325i radiator

Hi Guys, my wife's beloved car has a bad leak out of the corner bottom corner of the radiator tank, a bit peeved as it has less that 40,000km over 5 years on it. Is there a tame seller on this site? Is it worth going genuine? I can't see us selling the car for a while. Any thoughts appreciated.

Jack

I sourced a new all alloy radiator through Redline performance in Penrose, was about $50 cheaper than a factory spec replacement, if you don't have an issue with using non BMW branded bits.

Linky

Have been using one in my car for almost two years, no known problems. Would suggest doing the water pump, thermostat & thermostat housing as a precaution if you haven't already

Edited by Ahmedsinc

I sourced a new all alloy radiator through Redline performance in Penrose, was about $50 cheaper than a factory spec replacement, if you don't have an issue with using non BMW branded bits.

Linky

Have been using one in my car for almost two years, no known problems. Would suggest doing the water pump, thermostat & thermostat housing as a precaution if you haven't already

Thanks, can I ask how many beer tokens that set you back? I have already done the other bits thanks to the advice from this forum :mellow: :mellow:

Pretty sure the prices are listed on the webpage but from memory it was about $300. Not uber cheap but for me it gives better peace of mind than replacing it with another plastic tank item that will fail at some point

Happy hunting!

Pretty sure the prices are listed on the webpage but from memory it was about $300. Not uber cheap but for me it gives better peace of mind than replacing it with another plastic tank item that will fail at some point

Happy hunting!

Thanks, I'll ring them tomorrow, we've been quoted over $350 plus for a plastic tank version so $300ish doesn't sound too bad. Was it a 'drop in' or did you have to do some mods?

Thanks

Jack

Thanks, I'll ring them tomorrow, we've been quoted over $350 plus for a plastic tank version so $300ish doesn't sound too bad. Was it a 'drop in' or did you have to do some mods?

Thanks

Jack

Assuming yours is a jap import (expansion tank on drivers side) it'll drop straight in. The one I bought had the mounting holes predrilled for the trans oil cooler, you just need to swap the screw tabs, rubber grommets etc across from your old radiator. If it was NZ new or a UK import with the integrated trans cooler this one won't work unfortunately. Otherwise it seems to be good quality, I assume they're locally made but I couldn't say for sure.

Let me know how you get on :)

Assuming yours is a jap import (expansion tank on drivers side) it'll drop straight in. The one I bought had the mounting holes predrilled for the trans oil cooler, you just need to swap the screw tabs, rubber grommets etc across from your old radiator. If it was NZ new or a UK import with the integrated trans cooler this one won't work unfortunately. Otherwise it seems to be good quality, I assume they're locally made but I couldn't say for sure.

Let me know how you get on :)

[/quot

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, our car is a NZ new manual, so I'm not sure that the trans cooler is important, but we don't have an expansion tank, but I guess that one could be fitted.if necessary.

What radiator cap does yours have? The std BMW or a twist off like the old fashioned type?

Jack