Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob789

Brake light bulb failure

According to my dash, both brake light bulbs have failed on my 1998 e46 328 sedan. It's says both sides by the way.

When pressing the brake, only the outside bulbs light up, the inside do nothing. But the inside bulbs light up when turning the lights on. This means the brake switch should be fine.

I've checked for corrosion on both plugs, both fine. Replaced bulbs, still no good. Checked fuse and it's fine.

Any idea what's going on?

My car is booked in for a wof in the morning and its broken again. Will it pass a wof like this? It still has clear brake lights, just the lights on the dash.

Thanks,

Jamie

Also, I tried fitting some aftermarket tail lights to see if the lights would go off the dash but no...

what about the middle high level brake light?

Nah I thought that but wasn't it. Took it for its wof and found to be the number plate bulbs :blink:

Pretty weird for the brake light failure lights to come up on the dash when it's the number plate bulbs that's have gone...

Nah I thought that but wasn't it. Took it for its wof and found to be the number plate bulbs :blink:

Pretty weird for the brake light failure lights to come up on the dash when it's the number plate bulbs that's have gone...

hmm sounds like the ol e34 boot hinge wring short issue

I remember having the same/similar issue on our old car. They worked fine, but we had the warning on the dash. However, the culprit was corroded/melted terminals... but as said they still operated fine. We got a (VTNZ) WOF even though the dash lights were on, guess they just go by what is actually happening....

Oh yeah and it did get a bit confusing for us when the plate bulbs decided to go too :P

Edited by dr_kahu

Maybe look at your rear light chassis earthing points, bad earths can cause all sorts of weird and illogical happenings, on some cars and Transit vans sometimes you will see this as indicator bulbs glowing dimly as the brake lights are on - the circuit earths through the bulbs .

Even if this isn't the problem, on an old vehicle you are usually rewarded by noticeably brighter lights.