Sign in to follow this  
Haz77

Check brake linings warning

Hi,

2000 E39,

Had the message up for a couple of weeks now, got the garage to check it out during the service and they said the pads are fine but one of the sensors looks like the wire might have broken or be damaged, he did say that he replaced 2 on a car he had once & it didnt clear the warning though.

Question is, if I simply cut the "broken looking wire" & join it should it clear the warning & prove the fault?

Im guessing the other 3 sensors will still warn if the pads are low, the warning does come and go so it obviously doent need to be reset.

Im "keen" to identify the fault rather than just throw new sensors at it, they quoted about $100 each.

Also, are all the sensors the same or is each different? was thinking of getting 1 and just swapping them until I find the one causing the alarm.

The circuit is a closed loop through two sensors - L/H front & R/H rear

A break in the circuit will bring the light on.

$100 for a sensor, havent checked recently but I am sure they are nowhere near that. If a broken wire - then simple to fix

So,,,

Need to know if this message is only sent by the brake pad sensor or if the ABS sensor runs the same warning?

Cheers.

So,,,

Need to know if this message is only sent by the brake pad sensor or if the ABS sensor runs the same warning?

Cheers.

Nup, separate circuits/ sensors. ABS sensors are on each wheel. Brake pad wear sensors are only on L/F & R/R & bring up the brake lining W/lamp.

The circuit is a closed loop through two sensors - L/H front & R/H rear

A break in the circuit will bring the light on.

$100 for a sensor, havent checked recently but I am sure they are nowhere near that. If a broken wire - then simple to fix

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-566058190.htm

$25 from Paul, he also does a set of pads with a sensor for $123.

Cheers guys,

Did see that price & have been talking to Paul thats why I needed to know if the prob could be the pad or Abs sensor.

The garage said they he thought that was about what he had paid for his a few years back, maybe he got them from a BMW dealer.