Sign in to follow this  
nickchin1308

E39 steering pulling

Recently installed lowering springs on my E39 530i and noticed a pull in steering after whenever I turn. The pull is in the direction of the last turn and occurs when I turn left and right. Thought it may be sorted after a wheel alignment which is required after a suspension mod.

After the alignment the problem still persists and still the same. Wheel alignment sheet shows everything is in correct specifications.

Wondering what this problem could be? Did some googling and some say its a tie rod problem? If so is that an expensive fix? Want to have a clue of whats happening before taking it to a mechanic.

CheersNick

So the steering isn't returning to the centre after a turn or needs effort to do so? Did they check the caster?

Was it doing that before the mod?

Yea steering needs effort to return centre. On the alignment sheet caster was not adjusted (dont think can be played with?) Yea springs are seated properly on the car. No was not doing it before mod.

Caster

I don't know if it can be adjusted on an E39, but if it can't you may have a bent suspension component in there somewhere. Not sure that a worn component would do that but I could be wrong.

Was it actually in spec for caster when they measured it?

There are specifications for caste but its jus blank for initial n final on the sheet so dont think it can be adjusted (?)

firstly jack the car up turn the steering left to right , check for spring twist etc, you will most likely find a siezed tophat bearing or incorrectly fitted tophat when you had the springs fitted

Edited by JKSE