Sign in to follow this  
master garion

E36 oil filter housing gasket replacement

Hey peeps, i'm trying to replace the oil filter housing gasket (leaking) on my E36 323i. I've managed to take the alternator off but not sure what to do with the PS pump attached to the bottom of the filter housing. There's a metal oil pipe going to it so I can't just undo the bolts and move it aside. Do I have to open the PS system or is there a way of avoiding this? Thanks in advance.

Did you have any luck with this?

I've gathered all the required pieces and tools to do this job, and have been reading a few guides on how to do it. They all say to just undo the bolts and move the unit aside, but I'm guessing it's not that easy?

Bentley manuals can be downloaded from the internet; they will be your best friend on this. Done it a few times on the e36 325i and it was simple, not sure if the m52 is any different to do.

I just undone the bolts and left it dangling on its lines. Left enough room To replace everything.

I just undone the bolts and left it dangling on its lines. Left enough room To replace everything.

Gonna try this. Can't be bothered removing the PS pump.