Sign in to follow this  
Danny Kiwi

Valve Clearences

Does anyone with a Five Series do thier own Tappets??

I have one hell of a prob to get the clearences right on my E28 535i

please help...Its sounding like a sewing machine..

Thanks in Advance :wub:

post-6-1074642843.jpg

Between ten and twelve thou cold as stated in Bentlys Manual..with the car left to stand overnight..and there is no wear on the valve stem and it has not concaved..

I hear so many "Tappetty" Bimmers it is not funny!!

The Ironical thing is this seens to be unique to New Zealand.

In Germany and the U.K it just does not happen..

yeah....but dont ya just love it? would be interested to see how ya fixing goes

I dunno about that!!!

Dont want them as silent as an Accord..Gus, but the big sixes can be a bit noisey.

I just think our mechanics are not doing something that their Tuetonic counterparts are doing ....belive it or not the German Sevice charges are about half what ours are ..that may have something to do with them doing the job in half the time and being probably the highest skilled Auto. Techs in the world..

No Kidding... you can eat of the floor in the plant in Munich...and the Merc plant factory floor just outside Stuttgart, looks more like an operating theatre....

you've been there? i didnt have enough time when i was there to make it...very disappointed in myself...only managed a drive by of both factorys...fair enough...your six is a little bigger than mine :(....germans are very efficient people.....probably a complete rebuild every 50, 000k!

Guest Andrew

I dunno about that!!!

Dont want them as silent as an Accord..Gus, but the big sixes can be a bit noisey.

I just think our mechanics are not doing something that their Tuetonic counterparts are doing ....belive it or not the German Sevice charges are about half what ours are ..that may have something to do with them doing the job in half the time and being probably the highest skilled Auto. Techs in the world..

No Kidding... you can eat of the floor in the plant in Munich...and the Merc plant factory floor just outside Stuttgart, looks more like an operating theatre....

Bellars Motor Works runs a tidy shop here.. nice white floors all mint as.

I love my tappet sound hah.

Time your Trip to coincide with the Octoberfest too..

which I recon is one of the Adult seven wonders of the world...

You want to see eficiencey!! Chicks carrying Ten Roast Chickens and Ten Beer Stiens at the same Time..Stick your hand up in the air and there is a Beer on your Table within 30 Secs!! Da Bomb!!

this is oktoberfest at bout 11 pm.....i got reliably told that i was actually there...that i didnt just wake up on a wooden floor in a house in munich

post-6-1074820141.jpg