Sign in to follow this  
timewarrior

disconnection of oil cooler

Hi, sorry if this is a really noob question but I want to swap out my headlights and the wiring harness of one of them has one of the oil cooler lines going through it. I don't want to damage the wiring of the headlight as I'm selling them and I'm nervous about disconnecting the oil line to the cooler. I'm guessing that since it's going into the top of the cooler I'm lucky as it won't pour oil out but how do I avoid getting an air lock? Also is it under pressure when the car is cold?

Cant see why you can't just disconnect the wiring to the headlight. Anyway, there is no line pressure in the oil system with engine not running so no problem in disconnnecting that. I would simply disconnect the wiring though.

Hard to explain but there are some plugs on the light itself and some that are on the end of several lengths of wiring that connects to other parts of the headlight... the oil hose is threaded through the latter.

you should be fine, it may takea couple of seconds for the oil to force the air out but it does that every time the oil is changed and the filter is removed (much more air in that case), just disconnect it and start the car when its back on, if the oil light stays on for more than 20 seconds or so it may be air locked but it would be very unlikely