Sign in to follow this  
marcodj

Hi Guys

Hi Guys,

Happy to see a Bimmer forum for NZ!

I just moved here from the Philippines and I'm now looking into buying my first car. Unfortunately, I have a tight budget and that would mean that I would have to settle with a 2nd hand car. I'm still hoping I could find a right Bimmer for me (since I would really like to own one :) )

So hopefully I could get some tips from enthusiasts and hopefully in time, I become one as well.

Cheers!

-Marco

Welcome, have to settle for a second hand car huh? How awful haha. I would recommend an e30 m3

Welcome, have to settle for a second hand car huh? How awful haha. I would recommend an e30 m3

Awful indeed haha.

I was looking for e30 options but found what seems to be a tweaked e39 from Auto Trade.

still thinking about getting it because i dont think I could afford the parts yet.

Would be nice to get inputs on where to find parts and what should be the budget that I should look on when maintaining an old car.

Welcome! :)

There are a few parts sources here in NZ but if you are looking for brand new parts then I've found having some parts shipped over is cheaper. Things to look out for would vary depending on which bimmer your looking at - so people who know more than me would be able to fill you on that.

I have two e39s and know a few people who do too and from my experience parts in the cooling system may need replacing at some point if it is an old car: water pump, radiator, radiator hose (usually upper one), fan clutch. Also camshaft position sensors (inlet and exhaust) can become faulty - these will show up in a scan - I've had to replace these in both my e39s. I had to do a gearbox overhaul for one of my e39s (expensive) but I don't think that is a common problem and would be dependent on the car / how well it was maintained I think. I'm not a mechanic so can only say from what I've experienced - if you're going for an e39 make sure it was looked after or make sure you're willing to put in the money to bring it back to a happy condition if it wasn't - I'd assume the same applies for other bimmer models.

What model e39 were you looking at?

Hi Arma,

Thanks for you reply. It's quite informative indeed. Will definitely take these into consideration and that was what scared me initially of getting the car.

It looks nice, with the aftermarket rims and angel eyes.

by the way it's a 1997 528I