Sign in to follow this  
Knot

Broken Transmission Cross Member

Out on a trip my E34 lost power and died, The dash flashed up something in german and a quick roadside google indicated a transmission problem.

So I stuck my head under the car and sure enough the cross member was broken, being the number 8 wire type I figured "ooh smart car, but I'll just jerry something up to hold it and then limp to the next town".

So with some quickly made flax rope and a spanner I got it back in about that the right location, she however will only run for a few minutes before dying.

I'm guessing that if the dying it related to the transmission, either it's not lined up right, or one of the sensors has been knocked for six.

I know it's not a lot to go on, but I would welcome any thoughts on what it might actually be.

oh and if anyone has a cross member to suit a Jatco auto trans in an '93 E34 (525i) that want to sell, please let me know. (The garage 300 km's from here where the car is reckons it has to come from Germany and it's going to take at least 10 days - I have sent messages to some of the forum sponsors seeing if they have one).

If your mechanic is quoting for a brand new xmember it will probably have to come from Europe. But between the parts guys on here (look under forum sponsors) I'm sure they'll be able to sort you out for a complete trans.

Whereabouts are you? Will make it easier for those that can help if we know where ya are :)

If your mechanic is quoting for a brand new xmember it will probably have to come from Europe. But between the parts guys on here (look under forum sponsors) I'm sure they'll be able to sort you out for a complete trans.

Whereabouts are you? Will make it easier for those that can help if we know where ya are :)

Good point, Christchurch, but will pay for shipping from anywhere.

Look up HellBM or BrentHartge535, they're the resident used parts gurus. JKSE could help too, he's in Wgtn