Sign in to follow this  
tonylauno1

camber-adjustable front strut mount for e46

hi everyone,

I am looking for a replacement front strut mount to adjust the camber, the current one I had was purchased on ebay for usd100, instead of paying usd300 for something like k-mac or spc.

I found that the steering does not return to center, the mechanic told me this is normal for any lowered car, the wheel alignment guy said, my car has memory steer which is, when I turn left and bring steering back to center, it will still want to go a few degrees to the left and same thing for right as well. Once he explained that to me, I have noticed that as well, initially I thought wheel alignment was bad but I certainly have noticed this memory steer thing.

Now WOF failed because they say strut mount is moving just a tiny bit, when they put a long right-angle rod under wheel while it's a few inches above ground and wiggle it, got three mechanic to look at the strut mount when one person was wiggling it.

Even have to go to VTNZ because the WOF Inspector said I need LVV Cert for the adjustable front camber but that is another story yet to know the outcome.

so I am wanting to know what camber-adjustable strut mount people are using. Is k-mac or spc any good?

Thank you for your input

Tony

The key questions are:

- how low is the car ,

- how much camber are you currently running and;

- what do you expect to achieve with the camber plates?

The mechanics comments are not correct nor is the wheel alignment comment, lowered cars do not need to exhibit these dubiously labelled "characteristics".

Both these characteristics can be attributed to suspension geometry / alignment shortcomings - provide the detail and real answers will be easy.

I had Kmacs in my E39 and I was not impressed apart from the fact that they needed modification to actually fit, the design and construction was mediocre.

The rear is same height as original, I read the table wrong I thought it would be much lower.

The front is 1inch lower than original, again I thought it would be much lower.

The reason I had the camber kit is to put it back to manufacturer specs so I can get even tyre wear.

Did you have the memory steer on your car?

Did you get LVV cert?

My coupe was just sports height (not mSport), little lower than standard sedan height, not sure if it is 50mm below standard sedan, certainly looks closer to mSport height after fitting H&R Touring Kit.

Had two alignment done because first guy can't even get car to steer straight, he said it looks all good on the alignment machine. Second guy (couldn't find report), he just changed camber on front so that left was a little more than right and this stopped the car pulling left. Below is report from first guy

Caster is Left=4.9 | Right=5.2

Camber is Left=0.4 | Right=0.6

(from memory I think the 2nd guy said he change camber to Left=1.0 and Right=0.5)

Toe is Left=0.7mm | Right=0.8mm

I do suspect perhaps the 1/3 price, unknown brand camber-adjustable front strut is stiff.

I am using 17x7.5 ET41 front wheels (actual e36 M3 wheels)

225/45/17 tyres

Is ride height measured from bottom of rim to fender or from centre of rim to fender?

Just measured mine, ride height is 570mm

Caster is just the way the camber place is, can't change it, no offset bushes have been fitted.

So if my caster is higher than standard, that means it has greater force than standard to return wheel back to centre but it is still insufficient.

When the car is jacked up, I can turn the wheel, never tried it before the changed of top mount so I don't know if it is tighter than before. I will try it in on turntable on 2nd Sept when I get a wheel alignment report for LVV Cert. I think the wheel alignment hoist does have turntable.

Might need to remove and lube if all else fails before buying a set of new camber plates.

Tire wear is perfect, front is ever so slightly worn on inside.

Thanks for your advice.

By the way, checking the LVV Threshold Guide, any camber adjustment parts that is not a eccentric bolt or a bushing does required LVV Cert as confirmed by LVVTA themselves.

So the only real issue is that steering does not self centre.

Are the wheels the correct type with the correct offset ?

So with your help in reviewing the setup from the info I have provided, it is most likely the strut mount which is the causing the issue with steering not self-centering.

Wheels are correct type and offset, they are e36 m3, so width and offset are slightly different from the standard 17x8 e46 mags.

Just a note to anyone with camber-adjustments that are not a bushing or eccentric-bolt, they do require LVV Cert. It may pass WOF, insurance claims assessors and their mechanic/inspectors might not see them, but when they do, it's your loss, for the sake of $500 for certification, you are risking a lot. http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplemen...t_Threshold.pdf