Sign in to follow this  
FRT

ABS on/off

So I was thinking....for my road/track E36 M3 with stock brakes and ABS if I wanted to switch off the ABS is it as simple as just pulling the fuse/relay out?? (or run a switch through to the cockpit) or is there more to it than that? keeping 100% feel and effectiveness of the system.

>this post should be under brakes< dohh

Edited by FRT

Hi Dave. Because we are using words such as 'road', this would be some hypothetical stuff on what might be expected if the ABS electrical system were to be maybe switched off for 'off-road use'.......

Wiring diagram, multi-meter, side-cutters, extra wiring & switch in right place nets a non-abs system that should be able to be turned off & on whilst the vehicle is stationary. When system is switched 'off', ABS light on dash should be glowing.............its highly likely any traction control systems will also be deactivated though at the same time. (All this depends a bit on how its exactly wired up, & in which sequence by the vehicle manufacturer, but basic principals apply across all ABS systems). Pedal feel / response will be same as usual, right up to the point of wheel lock-up under braking.......... :)

### Please note - I do not advocate the vehicle being used on-road with a switch in the ABS system. Any switch fitted, needs to be done in such a way as to be easily removable before the vehicle gets used again on any legal road. In the event of a crash occurring on-road, its likely any / all insurance companies will dishonour any claim being made if it can be proven the vehicle's braking system is not as per OE manufacturer........

While on the subject - On some vehicles on some surfaces, you may find using wheel chains on one axle only (in the case of front, or rear wheel drive vehicles) may lead to ABS equipped vehicles having their ABS system throw a 'hissy fit', leaving you with no brakes........... :huh:

Hi Dave. Because we are using words such as 'road', this would be some hypothetical stuff on what might be expected if the ABS electrical system were to be maybe switched off for 'off-road use'.......

Wiring diagram, multi-meter, side-cutters, extra wiring & switch in right place nets a non-abs system that should be able to be turned off & on whilst the vehicle is stationary. When system is switched 'off', ABS light on dash should be glowing.............its highly likely any traction control systems will also be deactivated though at the same time. (All this depends a bit on how its exactly wired up, & in which sequence by the vehicle manufacturer, but basic principals apply across all ABS systems). Pedal feel / response will be same as usual, right up to the point of wheel lock-up under braking.......... :)

### Please note - I do not advocate the vehicle being used on-road with a switch in the ABS system. Any switch fitted, needs to be done in such a way as to be easily removable before the vehicle gets used again on any legal road. In the event of a crash occurring on-road, its likely any / all insurance companies will dishonour any claim being made if it can be proven the vehicle's braking system is not as per OE manufacturer........

While on the subject - On some vehicles on some surfaces, you may find using wheel chains on one axle only (in the case of front, or rear wheel drive vehicles) may lead to ABS equipped vehicles having their ABS system throw a 'hissy fit', leaving you with no brakes........... :huh:

its more sensitive than that.different sized tyres can confuse the abs system,and its the abs system that allows the tyre pressure monitors to work

Ok, thanks guys. The good news is that's it's an older car 1993 so no traction control, pressure warnings etc.

The drivers (only) airbag steering is gone replaced by roll cage and with the airbag module gone the OBD1 goes looking on startup finds nothing, thinks i dont have one and does not display airbag warning light. Yes the bulb is still there.

So was thinking just cut power to ABS module??

So just putting it out there if anyone has tried that or can foresee a problem before I find out the hard way. Brakes being something with high risk if the system will throw a fit and not work properly.

What I would really like is to know which wheel is causing the ABS to start, so say is it always a rear that is locking up I could use different pads. Be cool to have four LEDs representing each wheel displayed inside the car that individually flash on lock up. Being easier and cheaper than looking for smoke signals like I did in the E30 race car.

Yes.... A WOF'ed e36 m3 with a cage and seats/belts ... Carpet and A/C.... The poor mans GT2

Edited by FRT

Yes.... A WOF'ed e36 m3 with a cage and seats/belts ... Carpet and A/C.... The poor mans GT2

:) Must be a real hardship having to slum around in that - NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Carpet hurts lap-times, apparently...... ;)

:) Must be a real hardship having to slum around in that - NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Carpet hurts lap-times, apparently...... ;)

It's a hardship keeping it under the speed limit! He he.

The carpet and underlay must be thick as there was 3.5kgs of foam/rubber sound deadening just under the parcel tray alone. It's a stock exhaust and blasting along it sounds real quiet inside until you wiz past a concrete median barrier with the window down.