Sign in to follow this  
leightonf

M10 E30 wont crank

Hi all,

I just replaced the head gasket on my '86 E30, following the Haynes manual word for word.

Now with everything back together I have turned the motor through a few full cycles and verified the timing marks are the same as they were when disassembling (have not re-timed, cabletied chain on sprocket and then cabletied up to keep tension on when disassembling), but when trying to start with the key there is no luck.

The fuel pump will prime, but the starter wont go, no relay click or anything.

Obviously battery is charged etc

Any suggestions for where/how to start trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Leighton

There is 0.14V at the starter (thin black/yellow wire) with the key to "on", I'm guessing this should be 12V? And checked while key is "on" not while it should be cranking?

Everything else turns on, dash lights etc and they dip when the key is turned to crank, which would point towards starter getting power but not working maybe?

big fat wire should have 12v all the time,

thin wire should have 12v when key is trying to start not just to on

if the lights are dimming it means its using all the power to try and start. so either the battery has f**k all power to give or your starter is seized some how and is using massive amount of power to get very very hot

sorted now, thanks for the help

checked battery, it had 10.4 across the terminals, and 10.4 at the fat wire into the starter

tried another battery from the other car and started up no problems

thanks again

leighton