Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

Native T30 DIS install with Emulated Diagnostic Head - a how-to

A few years back I created this thread on how to do a Native install of DIS on an IBM T30 (here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1513162-A-Definitive-Guide-to-GT1-IBM-T30-Native-Install-(also-relevant-for-VMWare)

This required you to have a genuine diagnostic head (yellow head, OPS or OPPS) or if you could be bothered with the diagnostic head emulated on another computer connected via a LAN cable.

Let me first say that THERE IS TECHNICALLY ABSOLUTELY NO REAL REASON TO DO THIS ... it's more a fun exercise to do or if you happen to break your genuine diagnostic head and wanted to keep the native install and use it (or you don't want to spend over $500 to buy a China cloned diagnostic head)

Some also consider the native install to be more stable than running the DIS in VMware ect ect (let's not argue over this) ... anyways, enough excuses.

It is actually quite easy to do and follows the exact same concept as the vmware install. Given no one has actually written about how it works I thought I'd do a how to.

What you need:
1. IBM T30 with DIS installed natively on the hard drive NOT VIA VMWARE version.
2. Another laptop (preferably a much faster duo core machine or better with LAN port)
3. Diagnostic head emulator software v1.2

Connect as pictured below: LAN port to LAN Port
IMAG0305_zps6dce03f8.jpg

Turn on your laptops.

The laptop with the emulated diagnostic head needs to have INPA/EDIABAS installed and the COM port correctly set and OBD.ini file correctly set, ifhsrv32 turned on. Change the network setting to below (just like vmnet1 if it was vmware version):
IMAG0299_zps0b528a13.jpg

check it is connected correctly:
IMAG0297_zpsd7a543e9.jpg

Open the diagnostic emulator and start it and look in connection in DIS and you should see it show up as below just as if you have a real diagnostic head connected ..
IMAG0298_zpsb61e2954.jpg

IMAG0296_zps75bca891.jpg

Start diagnostics as you normally would:
IMAG0301_zps85d97478.jpg

Everything works as intended - automatic detection even with D-CAN correctly set:
IMAG0302_zps3fcf617f.jpg
IMAG0303_zps0ba67ae9.jpg
IMAG0304_zpsaaecd0e4.jpg

Now please no stupid comments ... just wanted to show that this actually does work and works quite well. As I said earlier, with easydis installs ect there's really no real reason to do this ... but quite nice to use if you prefer the speed of a native install or have a natively installed T30 sitting around.

Peace out : )

p.s. this will also work with a natively installed SSS progman T30.

• Like 1