Sign in to follow this  
Haitoman

E46 M3 Air Filter

Maybe I am getting used to the M3 after 12 months and 3000km. Can someone let me know (pref through personal experience if I will notice it pulling better (it already pulls just fine but - well you M3 guys know how it is...) with a new air filter. It probably hasn't been done for over 7000km.

Update...ok, so it turns out my new K&N I pulled out of my old 330i fits the M3. So I just replaced the paper filter which was filthy. Question now remains...will I notice any difference?

Edited by Haitoman

Short Answer ... No, Changing the air filter is good for the engine and keeps things running nicely, but in terms of performance you will not notice anything, you may have a slightly different induction sound but that will be about it.

Also depends on the condition of your old filter too, if that was clogged with dirt, sand, & bugs you car might breath a bit easier, and possibly increase your fuel economy but only slightly if any.

Edited by E46 Liam

Short Answer ... No, Changing the air filter is good for the engine and keeps things running nicely, but in terms of performance you will not notice anything, you may have a slightly different induction sound but that will be about it.

Also depends on the condition of your old filter too, if that was clogged with dirt, sand, & bugs you car might breath a bit easier, and possibly increase your fuel economy but only slightly if any.

Yes, that is my feeling too but there is so much hype out there. It's not the extra power I'm after...it just feels like it wants to go quicker but can't suck in air fast enough. Hard to explain as it goes just fine...just feels like it wants to go. I'll try the K&N tomorrow.

generally any restriction wont be down to the filter, usually the cams and head design

generally any restriction wont be down to the filter, usually the cams and head design

Agree, the most important thing it to make sure the filter is clean and doesnt leak. Honestly you are better off buying a brand new standard filter regurlarly than a K&N and keeping it for years.

biggest issue wth k&n filters are they use oil which can dirty up your AFM.

Just took the M3 out for a spin with the K&N filter. Whether or not it was the old filter (made in 2007) restricting air, who knows...but it seems like a different car. Imagination maybe, but it no longer thinks about revving. I'm very happy... Thanks for the comments above. I am aware of oiling of the MAF sensor and am no stranger to cleaning it, so that doesn't worry me.

Just took the M3 out for a spin with the K&N filter. Whether or not it was the old filter (made in 2007) restricting air, who knows...but it seems like a different car. Imagination maybe, but it no longer thinks about revving. I'm very happy... Thanks for the comments above. I am aware of oiling of the MAF sensor and am no stranger to cleaning it, so that doesn't worry me.

Good news, I had the same experience when installing a K&N intake onto my m3.. maybe the amplified noise made it more evident, but the car certainly seems to rev more freely. I'm going on 3 months and 800kms on the oiled K&N with no MAF issues. This has included one clean & re-oil after a very dusty road.

• Like 2