Sign in to follow this  
JSG

E61 Grill Replacement

Hey Guys

I'm kinda new to this forum, picked up a white E61 550 M Sport just before the xmas break. Pretty happy with her, couple of things here and there i was to tweak to begin with, nothing major, but as they say you got to start somewhere. So i thought I would start with a pretty easy part and swap out the chrome grill for back, as its the only bit of chrome on the car and wanted that more black and white look.

post-51234-0-53095400-1389490587_thumb.j

So far there has not been much in the way of success. This seems to be the hardest grill to get off, EVER. I see where the clips are, I can pull at the clips, but the two side ones are next to impossible to get off. It seems like the bumper needs to come off to do it, but not overly keen on trying that just yet. Any tips or tricks ?

Yeah I'm not sure if you tried already but the top rubber bit needs to come off. My knuckles got a reaming the first time I did this. If you're not concerned in keeping the stock grille you can use brute force also :o

But yeah some clips are more easier than others. Good luck!

Yeah i had figured out the rubber bit at the front, but was not so keen on taking the bumper off which from M-Spec's link indicates you have to do.

Thanks guys, look like its time to take those front screws off and see what happens

Well that made a world of difference, Once i got those screws off it alloud me enough room to get my hand in behind the grill which made the whole job very easy. Once the first one was off then used that grill hole to pop my hand in and sort the second one. Within 10 mins it was all done. Thank god I had a Torx 30 bit. Not a massive mod by any means, but she looks way better and more aggressive now. Thanks guys.

post-51234-0-27328600-1389501974_thumb.j

I had wanted to keep the chrome grills undamaged but most of the clips seemed to snap taking them off, they seemed very brittle, which must be due to the heat of the engine over time.