Sign in to follow this  
kevinr61

E60 M5 Exhaust

I Have a E60 M5 with 56000 klms and have been having issues with the engine check light and dealer not been able to resolve ( just kept clearing) i purchased a Scanner and have found it to be the bank 1 cat convertor ( will check input and output temps to confirm next weekend). Has any one removed cats and replaced with straight through pipes? and does anyone know who supplies replacement exhausts. ( cheaper option would be to remove the cats id suggest

• Like 1

Well after some more research i have found the following( completed temp check on the cats and found the left hand unit to be at fault with a significant temp differential between the inlet and outlet. I have since found i have a number of options to resolve being:

1. replace the cats with OEM and continue in the standard operating format ( ps you can also clean these sensors with a mixture of lemon juice and vinegar to remove carbon build up)

2. Next option is to remove or hole through the cats and have the ECU recoded/mapped to eliminate the fault code registering

3. Replace the complete exhaust and again have the ECU recoded/mapped as per item 2

I have ellected to go with option 3 which is more expensive but i would preferable as this will also be increased performance