Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 trans gasket leak ?

Got what seems to be a oil leak around the pan/gasket area of the gearbox. Guessing it is the transmission oil because of this. Is this a common issue on e39's?

I suppose I should take it in to get fixed at some point. Have not noticed any change in behaviour or feel of the transmission while driving though. And there's no easy way to check the trans oil level either it seems!

Is this a big job? Or can it be done within a day? Quite busy lately so can't be without the car for very long.

This is for the 530i.

Any info is appreciated. :)

Edited by Arma

I had a tmrocker cover gasket leak end up with most of the oil dripping off the box. Wipe it clean and when it comes back see what colour or smell it is

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

I had a tmrocker cover gasket leak end up with most of the oil dripping off the box. Wipe it clean and when it comes back see what colour or smell it is

Ah. I have had a minor rocker cover gasket leak for a while now - perhaps that's where it's coming from.

Wipe it with a white paper towel. Usually it will hold some amount of red tinge despite all the dirt under there